Muscle Twitching

Why do I get muscle twitches in several areas without any muscle weakness?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been experiencing muscle twitches, in several areas of my body, for a period of three weeks. It stared in a small area in my back, then stopped. Returning in my right hip and since then the twitching has appeared at my right shoulder, both thighs, both hamstrings, both calves, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Twitches are seen in ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis). However, they usually start in the hands and are accompanied by the thinking of muscles or atrophy of muscles. A much more common cause of twitches is anxiety leading to hyperventilation leading to decreased ...  Read Full »

How to stop the muscle spasm in lips?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had a muscle spasm on the right side of the lip that has been going on for a little over 12 hours and it is a constant muscle spasm. It goes on for like a minute or two and then stops for a few seconds and happens again. I have had muscle spasms before but never one to last thi...  Read Full »

Dr. Vidhi Hareshbhai Talati

Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history and I want to explain something about lip twitching. You told that you have muscle spasm on the right side of the lip, this condition is known as lip twitching. It is not a serious symptom. So do not worry. It will happen because of...  Read Full »

Why do I have twitches occasionally?

Query: Hello doctor, Almost a year ago, when I was on holiday, I had twitching in my right upper arm. It appeared as a kind of jolt rapidly. It came and went for over a week and finally went. When I was on sunbed and it suddenly started. Five months later it appeared exactly in the same place for about t...  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. First of all I like to assure you that what you are experiencing is common ailment which occurs in almost half of population. As your doctor said it will go over time holds completely true and there is nothing to w...  Read Full »

Can vitamin deficiency cause muscle twitching?

Query: Hi doctor, Before a week, I began having twitches and tingling in both legs from the knee down. For some time now, probably 6 months or more, I also began feeling that my legs were heavy and just general weakness all over, not really muscle weakness. I am also a gastric bypass patient and have a his...  Read Full »

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Vitamin B12 deficiency can cause subacute combined degeneration of the cord. So, the treatment is daily Vitamin B12 or Vitamin B complex supplementation for 12 weeks. Your vitamin D levels are also low. The treatment is Vitamin D capsules 60000 IU every Sunday for 12 ...  Read Full »

Can low vitamin D cause muscle twitching?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having muscle twitches all around my body for about two months. First I noticed it in the legs, around my calves, arms and even on my back. It has been fairly noticeable around my shoulders, and biceps. At one point I even noticed my right eye twitching whenever I blinked,...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and would explain that the muscle twitching could be related to low vitamin D levels. For this reason, it is important to take Vitamin D supplements. I would also recommend checking vitamin B12 plasma levels for possible deficiency and perfo...  Read Full »

Is occasional twitch in fingers and toes a sign of Parkinson's disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 48 years old male. A couple of months ago, I was diagnosed with a bulging disc in C6 and C7. I had pain and weakness associated with such a problem, and after some treatment, the pain subsided. Since then, my left index finger developed a twitch. Always at rest and occasionall...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I watched your uploaded video and would explain that your symptoms are not suggestive of Parkinson's disease. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This kind of twitching is usually related to different causes like: 1. A pinched nerve, 2. Thyroid gland...  Read Full »

What vitamin deficiency causes muscle twitching?

Query: Hi doctor, For about 10 days, I have muscle twitching in my calf, thighs and also in my eyes. I am worried about it. I got my blood test done. It showed that I have a severe vitamin B12 and vitamin D deficiency. My vitamin B12 was around 50 ng/L. Can these deficiencies be the cause for having muscl...  Read Full »

Dr. Devavrat Harihar Nene

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The duration is too short for any serious ailment. It is generally related to stress, coffee intake, and vitamin B12 deficiency. There is nothing to worry. It will go off.  Read Full »

Why is my diaphragm twitching?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a trembling or twitching on my side near the diaphragm, roughly around the sixth and seventh rib. It feels like a bubbling sensation, and I can feel it when I hold my fingers to the side.   Read Full »

Dr. Prathap

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. By your description, this appears like a pulsatile mass, because you can feel it with your fingers on the side. It may be in the diaphragm or the lower part of the lung or the liver if it is on right side. But the incidence of such a mass at your age is very rare. If you...  Read Full »

I have been experiencing muscle twitches all over my body. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 48-year-old male in generally good health. For the past year, I have been experiencing muscle twitches all over my body, not all at once. My right thigh may twitch for several days then stop. Then my left shoulder, or ankle, or bottom of my foot. I searched plenty about it and ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakashkumar P.bhatt

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician, Neurologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am gone through your history. You are having unexplained twisting movements of muscles and weakness on the left upper limb. Your history does not mention any sensory symptoms or urinary bladder symptoms. Hence, I am assuming it normal. You are suffering for a year,...  Read Full »

Apart from ALS, which other conditions cause muscle twitching?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female. For the last three days, I have noticed continuous twitches on the thenar aspect of my right palm. Today, I searched on the internet and it showed it could be ALS. I am worried. Also, I noticed that my right thenar prominence is a little less than the left. I do...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I do not think this to be ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis). ALS will have little more extensive twitches and at times they are visible on the muscle surface and a number of muscles having the flaccid type of weakness. Fasciculation only for three days without any weak...  Read Full »