Q. What is the reason for on and off toe swelling in a diabetic?

Dr. Noushif M
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 24, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 25, 2019

My mother-in-law 72 years old. She gets swelling in her toe on and off for the past year. Recently there was pus inside, and she is having pain. After soaking the toe in hot water and betadine, discharge came out, but it is relapsing again. She had antibiotic too. She has diabetes but under control with medication.

Dr. Noushif M

General Surgery Medical Gastroenterology Surgical Gastroenterology
#

She has an infection in the nail bed space. Need to focus on three things.

1. Her diabetics need better control. Better diet modification with medicines. HBA1c is too high.

2. The nail needs to be trimmed well regularly, and the area needs to be cared well daily. She may not have a proper sensation at the region due to diabetes. So regular inspection and care is mandatory. She should not walk barefoot, and slippers need to be correctly selected.

3. She needs control of infection. Visit a nearby surgeon (preferably podiatric) for the drainage of pus if present. Take an X-ray to rule out bone involvement and also need to check the blood supply to the region. I hope your queries have been cleared. Please review if any further questions.

| 

I am having bleeding and pus discharge from toenail. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have toenail problem. I had bleeding and pus formation. I consulted a doctor and she had prescribed the following treatment. Tablet Novamox CV 625 three times a day for five days. Apply T-bact ointment twice a day. After taking the above treatment, the pus formation stopped. But there ...  Read Full »

What is the cause for seperation of nail from nail bed?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 50 years old female, went through menopause but otherwise I am healthy. There is a problem with my nails. Out of 10 nails, six nails have one-third of the nails separated from the nail beds, with a v shape, looking white underneath, rest of the nails are looking pinkish pale. The na...  Read Full »

Is diabetes medicine needed if HbA1c is 7.5?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 52 year old female. One year before I went to a diabetologist and took glucose tolerance test. Here is the result, fasting - 128 mg/dL, 1 hour - 340 mg/dL, 2 hour - 196 mg/dL. Doctor prescribed medicine for a month but after that I did not take any medication. Now I would...  Read Full »

Ask a General Surgeon Now