Q. I have fatty liver. Can I take various other medicines with antibiotic?

I have a red, swollen and infected ingrown toe nail. It is speeding quickly and painfully. Yesterday I saw Dermatologist for the first time and she wrote me a prescription antibiotic of Ciprofloxacin 500mg/Thrice/day for one week and then do a partial toe nail surgery. Later, my last lab test was done and it was showing that my liver functions (SGPT / ALT (KINETIC) 96.70 U/L) while the normal rate is from 10 to 50 U/L and an ultrasound report on my liver says: "Diffuse severe fatty infiltration of the liver." I did not purchase the antibiotic because I am worried for my liver since I am on seven other medications daily.

My question is: Can my liver sustain 7 different drugs while taking a 500 mg of antibiotic?

#

Thank you for providing the details in your history. My question is that, is it the first time that the liver fatty infiltration has been discovered? Did you have had a test called FIBROSURE or liver MRI/ biopsy? Cipro is relatively safe with liver disease but honestly it will not be my first choice for treatment of ingrown toe nail infection.

Kindly accept my deepest gratitude by taking to time to answer inquiry. Answering your question, I only did an ultrasound on my liver this once. My doctor only asked for an ultrasound exam because of my highly elevated (SGPT / ALT), never did liver FIBROSURE, MRI or Biopsy. Ciprofloxacin 500 mg was prescribed to me, I did not choose it and did not even hear about it before yesterday but I would appreciate if you would prescribe another medicine that is more suitable for my case.

#

Sure, the pleasure is all mine, I will be happy to take of you; here are my recommendations:

1- You have fatty disease of the liver which should be treated. I am so sorry the name sound so gross but it basically means that although your cholesterol panel looks reasonable the cholesterol and fat some finds its way to get settled in the liver. The elevation of the liver enzymes over the period of time is indicative of NASH (nonalcoholic steatohepatitis). Despite of the " fear that a cholesterol medication should not be given in people with elevated liver enzymes". They are highly recommended in the given situation.

2- Given that you have diabetes; you are missing both an Aspirin 81 mg/d and a cholesterol medication as mentioned earlier. You can start off by Atorvastatin 40 mg daily ask you doctor check in 6 weeks and then in 3 months. The only indication to discontinuing it would be 3 times elevation in Liver function test.

3- Now the ingrown toe nail: I need a picture of the nail. I cannot figure out if you need the antibiotics or not. Also I need your medication allergies, and if I suggest something would you be able to pick up from the pharmacy?

4- Not my business but did you ever actually had s Gout flare? A red swollen tender joint that needed to be drained? How where you diagnosed with Gout?

|