Q. What causes facial asymmetry after nose fracture?

Dr. Pavan N Murdeshwar

I broke my nose in kindergarten, I am 26 right now and just now realized how my facial features are not symmetrical, how much does a broken nose affect that, as you can tell my right side of my face is more laid back and natural looking even my mustache above my lip, and my left side looks more tight and my mustache and lip does not match the right side. What causes this?

#

Definitely there is a whole lot of asymmetry as you suggested, because of the old broken nose. I can also see that the base of the nose is a bit too broad and gives a feeling of oddly joined fractured segments. This can be confirmed by few X-rays. Further correction if this is as well simple. We call it osteotomy and splitting. That will give you more symmetrical looking sleeker nasal dorsum. It's better if you can get yourself examined by a board certified plastic surgeon.

Also my smile is not symmetrical, when I was young I got hit with a stick on my left side and my lateral Incisor tooth never grew in, so I was wondering would getting braces and getting a implant help fix my face some? Or is me breaking my nose in kindergarten the main cause of it? Looking at my mustache I can tell one side seems stretched out more than the other side.

#

From what I can see in the pictures you are having an hyperactive facial muscle on one side which is making an asymmetrical animation deformity. It is very hard to attribute it to any kind of dental injury. The braces will not help in correcting this asymmetry either. An injection of botox at a particular site will help you in getting a more proper smile. However it will be short lasting and multiple injections might be required. An in- person examination will help knowing the condition better.

| 

Is there a possibility to get a complete cure of sports injury?

Query: Hi doctor,Two years ago, I felt a pop while playing football. My physiotherapist said Ihave torn my cartilage and so, he advised me to take rest. It felt good. After 18 months, when I played football again for some half an hour, I felt the pain. So, I visited a different physiotherapist, and he advi...  Read Full »

Why is there pain in wrists and ankles?

Query: Hello doctor, Both of my wrists and my right ankle have recently started to hurt when I run or lift weights, but they are not sore. It is in my joints.  Read Full »

Should I take my son to a doctor immediately for a nosebleed?

Query: Hello doctor, My 4 year old son bumped his nose on his cousin, while in a swimming pool. It bled a lot, but I pinched his nose for a couple of minutes while he was sitting on my lap. The bleeding stopped immediately. Now, he is calm and watching television. Should I take him to a doctor immediately?  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Plastic Surgeon Now