Q. Should I take my son to a doctor immediately for a nosebleed?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 30, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 03, 2021

My 4 year old son bumped his nose on his cousin, while in a swimming pool. It bled a lot, but I pinched his nose for a couple of minutes while he was sitting on my lap. The bleeding stopped immediately. Now, he is calm and watching television. Should I take him to a doctor immediately?

#

• If the bleeding does not stop, then we do a nasal packing. But in this case, as the bleeding stopped, there is no need of further treatment if there is no recurrence of bleeding.
  • If the bleeding recurs, then apply pressure and sought medical attention immediately. Keep an adrenaline ampule, dilute it in 1 ml of saline, use it after soaking in cotton, apply in the nasal cavity if bleeding recurs.

For further queries consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Thank you for replying. How long is the observation period? Can he go play with friends, swimming, etc?

#

• Yes, he can resume the normal activities if there is no recurrence of the bleed within the next 24 hours.
  • Keep a close watch for next 24 hours, as we need to evaluate whether the trauma was minor or major. If there is a swelling over the nose, then an x-ray may be needed to rule out simultaneous bone trauma.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|