Q. Can excision biopsy remove the nodal metastasis in nasopharyngeal carcinoma?

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Samdariya and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma or Lymph Node Biopsy? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

My son was recently diagnosed with nasopharyngeal carcinoma stage 3. He had undergone 35 sessions of IMRT as well as six sessions of chemotherapy. Three more sessions of chemotherapy have been prescribed and the first one was completed last week. Two more to go in three weeks time. Recently his treating doctor found more lymph nodes in his jugular and submandibular regions. FNAC reported a highly suspicious deposit from a malignant carcinoma and excised biopsy was recommended. Is it safe to perform the biopsy? Will all the lymph nodes be removed during the operation? Patient is underweight and not eating well, will anaesthesia be performed in such cases? Will IMRT be required again and is that even possible to do it again? What are the options?