Q. I have insomnia and cannot find the right position to sleep. Any advice?

Dr. Tanushree Agarwal
Published on Jul 17, 2018

I have sciatica. I also have nerve pain in my face coming from my neck which stops me sleeping on my back. If I sleep on my shoulder, I get soreness on the shoulder. I have insomnia and cannot find the right position to be able to sleep. Could you give any advice? I put ice on my neck which temporarily relieves the neck pain and deep heat massage on my shoulder. Stomach sleeping is not recommended for people with back problems. Is there some solution to this problem?

Dr. Tanushree Agarwal

Physiotherapy
#

In this case, there is no best position for sleeping. Instead, the way you are sleeping in every position that will help you.

1. Sleeping on the back - the pillow under the neck should be shallow enough to support the neck in one straight line. Keep a pillow under both the knees so that back is supported completely. 2. Sleeping on either side - the thickness of the pillow should be equal to how broad your shoulders are so that the head and spine be aligned. A pillow between both the arms to support the shoulder from following to either side might help. A pillow between the knees also. Keep changing the sides.

For more information consult a physiotherapist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/physiotherapist

How to check if the blood circulation to the head and neck is fine?

Query: Hi doctor, A physiotherapist did some manipulation with my neck and since then when I fall asleep at night, my arms, hands, upper back (area just below the neck) and brain feels weird as if blood supply is cut. This happens several times during the night while I am sleeping and these symptoms go aw...  Read Full »

I suffer from insomnia. What can be done to get a good sleep?

Query: Hello doctor,I suffer from insomnia that had increased in the last year. I used a lot of medications that were prescribed to me by my local physicians such as (Diazepam, Lorazepam, Alprazolam, and Mirtazapine). Initially, it is useful at the beginning and then insomnia returned. I also follow a beha...  Read Full »

Why is there neck pain on turning to side?

Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in my neck whenever I turn it to the left, occurring in the back left-hand side of my neck, and this has been happening for the last six months. I am currently on no medication. I am a female, age 15, 5'5".  Read Full »

Ask a Physiotherapist Now