Q. I have neck pain, stiffness and numbness in my hands. Is it due to syrinx?

Published on Nov 26, 2019

I am having significant neck pain that goes out into my shoulders a bit. Pain is accompanied by severe stiffness. Also, my hands have been falling asleep about seven or eight times a week (roughly) and even ache a bit. I thought I might be dealing with a pinched nerve, but all my symptoms are fairly bilaterally equal. This last week I was put through an MRI for a lipoma in my left shoulder and neck area and they found that I also had a lower cervical syrinx at C6 about 3 mm. Could this be causing the pain and numbness that I have been dealing with? Or is the syrinx something that should be removed? I am awaiting an appointment with a neurosurgeon but I thought I would reach out in the meantime. I appreciate any information that you give me.

#

It may very well be the syrinx. A syrinx can cause pain and temperature sensory deficits to occur early but may not be recognized for years. Syringomyelia typically causes numbness, weakness, atrophy, and often fasciculation, and reduced reflexes of the hands and arms. The pain and/or numbness is felt as a sensation in a cakelike distribution over the shoulders, arms, and back. It may be decompressed surgically a bit for that you would need an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of the C-spine to look for a more detailed anatomy.

| 

My little child has ataxia, hypotonia, seizures, and dysphagia. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor, My 16-month-old presents with intermittent limb weakness, hemiplegia, gait disorder, dysphagia, intermittent ataxia, brisk reflexes, seizures, and intermittent hypotonia. There are sudden bouts of alternating limb paralysis. There is sudden difficulty with balance and walking with fal...  Read Full »

How to check if the blood circulation to the head and neck is fine?

Query: Hi doctor, A physiotherapist did some manipulation with my neck and since then when I fall asleep at night, my arms, hands, upper back (area just below the neck) and brain feels weird as if blood supply is cut. This happens several times during the night while I am sleeping and these symptoms go aw...  Read Full »

I have been having neck pain since I met with an accident. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I involved in a car accident seven years ago. I have been having problems with my neck ever since. I recently consulted an orthopedic specialist and had an MRI done last week. The results are as follow: Multilevel degenerative disc disease with straightening of lordosis. Multilevel bul...  Read Full »