Q. How can I avoid formation of scar due to popping of cystic pimple on eyebrow?

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare
Published on Sep 03, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2018

I had a cystic pimple on my eyebrow for about a week that just popped under the skin last night. I have never experienced this before. So, I am worried about scarring.

Is this something I need to go and check with a dermatologist immediately to clean it out if I want to avoid scarring? What is the best thing to do in my situation to avoid a scar?

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I have reviewed the clinical photograph attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, you have developed nodulocystic acne. What did you mean by it has popped last night? Is this same lesion present for one week or it has subsided now since yesterday? If it has just appeared then you will need a course of oral antibiotics to reduce inflammation and infection.

Topically Fusidic acid 2 % cream can be applied twice daily. In most of the cases of nodulocystic acne intralesional steroid injection is given to reduce inflammation and scarring, cryotherapy would also help. Avoid squeezing and touching. In past what medication have you taken?

It first appeared about a week ago. So, it is much smaller now. Just last night though, it popped under the skin. The photo is from this morning. I have never had this happen before, so I wanted to find out if I needed to go to a dermatologist to have it opened and cleaned out to avoid scarring.

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

At present, you do not need to go urgently to a dermatologist. Just apply Fusidic acid 2 % cream. At first, when it was inflammatory, at that point you could have considered cryotherapy.

Now, it is in resolving phase as you mentioned it has decreased in size. Oral antibiotic tablet Azithromycin 500 mg once a day after meal course for three days can be considered if you are not allergic to oral antibiotics medication.

Precautions for the Safe Use of Isotretinoin (Accutane)

Article Overview: This article discusses various precautions and safety tips to know before you start using this drug in case of severe acne. Read Article

Isotretinoin, a first generation retinoid is used for severe acne or pimples which has not responded to the regular treatment. It acts by inhibiting sebum production, sebaceous proliferation, differentiation, decreasing sebaceous gland size and also downregulates the hormonal receptors in the skin w...  Read Article