Q. Is the NT scan showing signs of Down's syndrome in fetus?

Sub: Ne for NIPT (Down’s) – Reg.

My wife, aged 30 years, is 17 weeks pregnant with our second child. Prenatal (First Trimester) Screening report indicated a calculated risk for Down’s syndrome as 1:544 (final). NT at 12 weeks 5 days was 1.8 mm. Considering this an intermediate risk, our OBGYN advised Early Anomaly Scan during 17th week. The findings in ultrasound scan for soft markers came negative and the risk for Down’s was improved to 1:2837. Our OBGYN said that there is an option of NIPT available for further confirmation. But she indicated that it is only optional.

There is no history of Down’s, Edward’s or Patau’s in both our families. And our first child is normally active. First child (No Down’s) was born at 33 weeks pre-term because of pre-eclampsia through LSCS. Should we get the NIPT done? Please help us because we are confused.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Considering the fact that firstly, your NT scan measured 1.8 mm which was below 2.5 mm cut off and hence was normal for gestational age. Secondly, the cut off for trisomy 21 being 1: 250 and age related risk as well were lower with 1:544 and 1: 815, so the screen was negative and there was no intermediate risk as to be considered.

The age is 30 and does not qualify for advanced maternal age and also the first baby was not a down's syndrome, hence no increased risk in present pregnancy. Thirdly the anomaly scan as well do not show any evidence of structural cardiac anomalies or endocardial cushion defects, indicating that the chances of the child being down's is way too low. NIPT with these reports is not recommended at all.

| 

Is nasal bone length an indicator of Down's syndrome?

Query: Hi doctor, My quadruple test is normal. After 23 weeks of gestation, I took an anomaly scan, which shows 3.6 mm nasal bone. Is the nasal bone underdeveloped? What are the chances of Down's syndrome? We do not want to get an amniocentesis test done as it increases the chance of miscarriage. Previous...  Read Full »

Do my wife's NT scan and double marker test results show a high risk for Down's syndrome?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife had NT scan and double marker test at 12 weeks and 3 days of pregnancy. The report is as follows, CRL is 59.2 mm, NT is 1.45 mm, free beta-hCG is 84.84 IU/L, equivalent to 2.217 MoM and PAPP-A 0.712 IU/L equivalent to 0.282 MoM. Trisomy 21 is 1: 450 1:47 and trisomy 18 is 1: 5315...  Read Full »

How can I find out the risk of Down's syndrome in my second baby?

Query: Hello doctor, My first baby is a Down's syndrome kid. I am currently on Fol G2 (folic acid). Kindly guide me whether my second baby is at risk.  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now