Q. I am suffering from numbness and pain in my hand that spreads to my arms. What is the treatment?

Answered by
Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
and medically reviewed by Dr.Nithila A
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 03, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2019

Hello doctor,

I have numbness on my right hand and pain shooting down both the arms. I did a nerve test last week, and all is fine. Now my doctor wants me to get a spine X-ray. But I had one two years ago, and the chiropractor told me I have zero degeneration in the spine. I will say moving my head from right to left down to shoulders does feels like I am stretching something.

I elbowed a thick wood door with my right elbow, and I had pain in arm and hand for a long time. And have had shoulder (orthoscopic and removed a bone, so they tell me) but all in the right side so I can understand but not both arms. And the weird part is it goes into my chest. Sort of like heartburn is the best way to explain. All blood work came back perfect. Do have high blood pressure but under control with a mess. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Surgery


Welcome to icliniq.com.I can tell you that such a radiating pain usually is an indication of a nerve impingement either in the spine region or somewhere along the course of the nerve. If there is only a radiating kind of pain, nerve tests sometimes may not reveal much although I would be interested in seeing the report of your nerve conduction test. Also, X-ray could show some degenerative changes in the form of osteophytes, disc spaces, etc., but if you want to see, MRI of the cervical spine will be a better investigation as it will enable us to view the spinal cord and any associated compression if present.

As far as your other query about elbow and shoulder is concerned, I would like to know and understand your current problems, the latest investigation is done and ongoing treatment, so that I can appreciate and opine accordingly. Also, any radiation of pain to the chest region should be seen by a general physician so that cardiac and gastrointestinal causes can be ruled out.

To start with, I can advise for your left upper limb symptoms for which you can start with tablet Gabapentin or tablet Pregabalin along with Methylcobalamin for nerve-related signs. Intensive physical therapy in the form of TENS (transcutaneous electric nerve stimulation) also helps to get relief from neuropathic symptoms. Do let me know if there is no relief, and also get in touch with me should you require any further information/SOS

The Probable causes:

Cervical spine degeneration

Investigations to be done:

MRI Cervical spine

Differential diagnosis:

Entrapment Neuropathy

Treatment plan:

Medications, Physical therapy

Regarding follow up:

Follow up after 2-3 weeks or with investigation reports

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Why is there numbness in my hands and feet?

Query: Hi doctor, I have numbness in my hands and feet for the past two years. It is worsening gradually. The last month, it has got significantly aggravated. The numbness starts with tingling. When I am trying to grab something, I am unable to grab it. I also suffer from worsening cognitive function as I...  Read Full »

Does the blood report indicate blood cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I have my wife's blood test report. We fear that she might have blood cancer. For the last four months, she is having joint pain, sudden breath difficulty, hand pain, and chest pain. Kindly help.  Read Full »

Why is my left foot numb?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am a 39 year old male. My height is 6 feet and I weigh 81 kg. Right side of my left foot is having numbness though it is not 100% numb. The left side of the foot has little pain. I get a feeling that there is some blockage in the blood flow though it might not be the case. I am a reg...  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.