Q. I am under Depakote XR, and Paroxetine CR for OCD. Will these drugs cause Parkinson's disease?

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi
Published on May 06, 2019

I am suffering from OCD and doctor prescribed Depakote XR 500 mg and Paroxetine CR 25 mg, which I am taking for last eight years. I read that these medicines can cause drug-induced Parkinson's. Please advise how to stop taking these medicines without withdrawal symptoms.

#

I do not think that those medications can induce Parkinson's. Antipsychotic drugs are more common to induce extrapyramidal symptoms like Parkinson's. Still, if you want to stop it, then you need to taper off over months gradually. It may lead to worsening your OCD.

| 

I have one more major problem. I am taking Nitrazepam 10 mg for last one year, and now I want to leave it. Please guide me in detail as to how to taper this medicine because Depakote XR 500 which I take is known to increase the effect of Nitrazepam several times. Can I taper off at home and how?

#

I think that you are taking Nitrazepam at night for sleep disturbance. You can taper off gradually. It makes a problem initially. You need to make it half (5 mg) for two weeks. Once you stable with it, then take 5 mg Nitrazepam for alternate days for another two weeks. Than take for twice a week for two weeks and continue as needed. I hope you understood.

| 

Is Zoloft safe for a 13 year old boy who is suffering from bipolar disorder?

Query: Hi doctor, I am concerned about the medication that my 13 year old son is currently taking for bipolar disorder. He was diagnosed bipolar disorder at the age of 7. After trying several medications Depakote was the one that worked best. My ex-husband got custody of him 4 years ago and pulled him o...  Read Full »

Can I have some information about Clozapine?

Query: Hi doctor, My partner is diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. He has been taking Olanzapine and Depakote for the past eight years, which has stabled him a lot. But, he suffers from panic attack when he stays with a group of people. His key worker and psychiatrist are recommending him to start usin...  Read Full »