Q. I had an attack of severe vertigo, and my EKG is abnormal. What should I do?

Dr. Isaac Gana
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 23, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 28, 2021

I am a 50 year old male, who weighs 240 lbs. Two weeks back, I had dizziness following an attack of severe vertigo that made me fall to the ground. My psychiatrist sent me for an EKG, I went to the cardiologist to review the reports, and he said that the EKG was abnormal. My psychiatrist wants me to follow up with my family doctor as soon as possible, but my family doctor is not available for another week. What should I do? Should I wait for a week? I currently take Depakote and Risperdal medicines.

#

Have you informed your psychiatrist about vertigo? Because vertigo could be caused by some of the drugs you are using, like Depakote (Divalproex sodium) and Risperdal (Risperidone). So, you could be having the dizziness due to the side effects of the medication.

If you are only having dizziness without other symptoms, you can wait for a week for your family physician.

I would like you to attach the EKG (electrocardiogram) result if you have it, or tell me what changes were noted by the doctor.

Revert with more information to a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Thank you for the reply. I have attached the copy of the EKG.

#

I have gone through your ECG (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

There is a slight T wave depression in the lead III, which might have been caused by ischemia (deprivation of blood supply to tissues), causing low oxygen supply to the tissue.

But, it might also be a mistake reading due to wrong positioning of leads while carrying out the test.

• If you are not having symptoms of ischemia, like palpitations, lightheadedness, vomiting, chest pain, shortness of breath, etc., then there is no problem.
  • You can repeat the ECG test to make sure because one ECG test can not be used to conclude if you have ischemia or not.
  • Ischemia is determined with a combination of test such as cardiac stress test, echocardiogram, etc.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|