Q. Is repetition of image popping into mind a symptom of OCD?

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 29, 2020

I am a 25 year old male. I am scared of turning into a gay or homosexual. In the past, I had senseless and intrusive images popping in my head that I am kissing a guy whenever I used to be with my male friends. I never felt an attraction towards any guy. It happened six years before, but never thought about the reason. This thing stopped when I asked about this issue to a doctor and he said it as OCD. Everything was fine for over six to seven months. But, when I over think about why I am getting those images in my mind then the thing gets worse. I check every time when I see a guy whether I am attracted to him or not. Indeed, it sounds like I have gone mad. In my office there is a guy who is very attractive. But, when I fantasize him just to check whether I am normal or turning into a gay, I feel weird. But, I cannot stop myself looking at him. I envy him too, because I always wanted personality, health and voice like him. Whenever I see him I feel something different as if I am looking a girl. I am scared now. Please help.

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology Sleep Medicine
#

After analyzing your current complaint and taking into consideration your previous history, I am of the opinion that your current symptom is also a symptom of Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD).

An obsession is an automatic, repetitive, intrusive and senseless thought or image which pops into a person's mind. Your previous symptom of seeing images of kissing a guy was an obsession.

A compulsion is an action that you cannot resist doing despite knowing that it is senseless and should not be done. Your current symptom is a compulsion.

• Obsessions and compulsions are both seen either together or individually in obsessive compulsive disorder. OCD frequently changes its form and tends to threaten you of your worst fear.
  • Homosexuality is when you are sexually attracted to someone of the same sex. In it you wish to be in a sexual relationship with a guy.
  • If your symptom is causing distress, it should be treated with cognitive behavior therapy or medicines like Fluvoxamine or Clomipramine.

Obsessive compulsive disorder.

1. Cognitive behavior therapy.
2. Anti-OCD medications like Fluvoxamine or Clomipramine.

For further details consult a psychiatrist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

| 

Today, I saw on television that two men were wrestling and they fall on each other in missionary position and when they fall I liked the way as their bodies touch. I love that position with women, but not with men as I never fantasize them. But, I like to fantasize those men in the same position. I do not feel like having sex with any men. I know this well, but still I do not understand why I am feeling like this now. I am very much frightened now. I do not want to be a gay. Can you elaborate the reason? Am I turning into gay?

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

#

It is only when you are sexually attracted to someone of the same sex, that you are a gay. You have mentioned it now and before that you do not feel like having sex with a guy. That confirms that you are straight.

Your repeated checking to confirm whether you are a gay by thinking guys in a particular position, is a form of compulsive checking. It is another symptom of your OCD.

You might like the image that comes in your mind, but that has nothing to do with your sexual orientation. You are seeking out for reassurance that you are straight is also a symptom of OCD.

So, OCD is presented in different ways, each time, threatening you of your worst fear of turning into a homosexual.

After some time, this thought or symptom might disappear, but takes some other form along the same theme.

You need treatment for OCD, if it is affecting your life and consuming your time and energy.

Obsessive compulsive disorder

Anti-obsessive medicines and behavior therapy.

For further doubts consult a psychiatrist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

| 

Thank you so much doctor,

I actually liked the skin contact in that position with women only. But, I saw the exact position of men. Why did I like them in that position? Is it OCD again? Shall I ignore such things in future?

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

#

• It is just an image that you liked. You see so many images on the television. Some you like and some you do not. If you note down all the images that you liked, you will find a lot of meaningless images in them.
  • The image fitting in your mind and you are attaching meaning to it as a part of your fear is a part of OCD.
  • So, next time, if something sticks in your mind and you find yourself attaching some meaning to it in relation to your sexual orientation, be aware that. This could be OCD in a new form.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

| 

Can my OCD get cured with lower dose of medicine?

Query: Hi doctor, I have brain lesion in the left temporal lobe size 0.9 mm as found in brain MRI. I had seizure twice two years ago. I am also suffering from OCD. Fluoxetine 40 mg has been very effective in treating OCD, but caused memory problem, speech problem and lack of concentration. When can I lower...  Read Full »

How can I get over being sexually attracted to children?

Query: Hi doctor, When I see a child, whether in public or at home, I always imagine them naked. I look at them and start to visualize them in sexual situations. I want to keep looking at them, even though I know I should not. I am always watching naked kid images on the internet. I do not believe I actua...  Read Full »

Dealing with Chronic Physical Pain and Niggles

Article Overview: Pain is a debilitating symptom. It is often neglected, and has devastating consequences. The following article deals with common causes of pain, and its management. Read Article

Pain is a protective mechanism. It warns one, of the imminent, dormant, and potential danger. However, chronic physical pain can be disabling, and limits one's functional capacity. Women are more prone to pain than men, as revealed by several study designs and research methodologies. Those aged ove...  Read Article