Q. My tongue hurts a lot with white growths on the side of the tongue. Can I have oral candidiasis?

Dr. Radhika Shukla
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I am a 20-year-old male with a weight of 78 kilograms and a height of six feet. I have the habit of smoking for four years. I drink alcohol in a moderate amount. I am not taking any medication. I have a problem with my tongue. I started to have this problem before three months. The tongue hurts here and there. Then for a couple of weeks, it does not hurt me. My tongue is constantly white or yellow and the mobility is normal. The surface of the tongue does not hurt me but the muscle on the upper left corner hurts me. It has small white growths on the sides of that part of the tongue and it hurts me a lot. I have small red dots on the tip of the tongue. My ear also hurts when the tongue and lymph nodes hurts on that side. What is the cause? Is it due to allergies? Please mention the specialist to be consulted for this problem.

#

After going through the detailed history and description, it seems that you are suffering from oral candidiasis. But it is difficult to rule out the condition without examining you. Please send me a photo of your mouth in an open position and the tongue in pulled out condition. It is less likely caused due to allergies. You can consult an ENT (ear, nose, and throat) specialist to rule out the condition. You can use a Candid mouth paint (Clotrimazole) on the mouth and tongue presenting with the lesion. You can use it once at night before sleeping. You can apply Mucopain gel (Benzocaine) two times a day in the morning and afternoon after gargling. You can use Chlorhexidine mouth wash three times a day after food. You can take tablet Limcee (Vitamin C) one tablet once a day and capsule Becozinc (Multivitamin) one tablet once a day.

|