Q. I feel like there is hair at the back of my tongue. Why?.

Dr. Sandhya
and medically reviewed by Dr. Lochana
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 28, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 25, 2021

I have a feeling of hair present in my tongue or back of my mouth for the past few days. It drives me mad. My wife tried to look for a strand of hair and she could not find anything. Kindly advice.

#

Kindly follow this advice. Check the back of your tongue in a mirror using a flashlight to view the area properly. You need to look for discolorations and plaques. You can check your tonsils for signs of inflammation including redness and enlargements in tonsil size. Have a thorough inspection and look for any whitish spots over the tonsils or presence of any food particles within the fold of the tonsils. You can use a tongue cleaner. Pull your tongue to the front as much as possible and put the tongue cleaner to the back of your tongue and try to do scraping and cleaning it out from the back to the tip of the tongue in a gentle manner. You can look for the presence of any unusual discolorations or foreign particles. You can use a flashlight and inspect your palate which is right above the tongue and at the rear end of the palate to make sure that there are no unusual discolorations and whitish spots. You need to gargle your mouth including your throat using warm salt water thrice daily for 30 seconds. You need to clean your tongue every day. Please mention whether you took any antibiotics recently or used any inhalers. Please mention whether you have a history of asthma and smoking. Kindly do these measures and have a follow-up with your updates and findings on inspection.

|