Q. What causes black tongue and a purple patch on the skin after oral sex?

Dr. Kiran Anaparthi
Published on Sep 24, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 27, 2019

10 days ago I had oral sex with CSW while drunk. I visited the GP the next day who gave me PEP, now nine days. Yesterday, I saw a hairy black tongue and freaked out. Visited local clinic, was prescribed mouthwash and Miconazole cream and did HIV 1 and 2 antibodies, due, hep B and VDRL- all negative.Also saw a small purple patch on the right forearm. I am not sleeping, worried sick.

I want to know the risk of HIV and if confirmed very low, what is probably going on with black tongue and a purple patch on the skin. Intend to get the HIV PCR test done in RSA on day 13. Please advise.

Dr. Kiran Anaparthi

Family Physician HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

First, as per the history of 10 days contact, you will not possibly have HIV related symptoms. Second, the rash appears to be localized and not related to HIV or contact, it indicates local allergic reaction (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It resolves automatically or uses tablet Cetirizine.

Third, black tongue, not sure by pictures, if any, can be due to Nevirapine, which can give that and please specify the drug in PEP. Finally, using PEP after exposure is very good and it nullifies any risk. There are no known cases of getting HIV, post PEP use. So, continue PEP as advised. You are negetive and have very low chances but they are nullified by using PEP. So, worry not regarding HIV.

I had oral sex with confirmed HIV positive guy. What are my chances of infection?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 29-year-old male homosexual. I had a sexual encounter 15 days back with a confirmed HIV positive guy. I gave him blow job with a condom and we smooched. He also blew me but I was not putting on a condom and when he spit out, there was a streak of blood in the spit. He says he has...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is certainly a sizeable risk of transmission. Since he spit the blood, whatever may be a source, meaning he has had viruses in his oral cavity. HIV RNA or p24 antigen test, both are equally good becomes positive in one to two weeks period after infection, so yo...  Read Full

After 25 months of unprotected sex, why am I having various symptoms?

Query: Hello doctor, I have few questions to ask regarding my health problems. After 25 months of unprotected sex, I went for an HIV test called comb AIDS test, and the result came negative for both HIV-1 and HIV-2. At the same time, I also took a test on HBsAg, HVC, scrub typhus, Widal test, and blood sug...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the details and can make out your anxiety. The HIV (human immunodeficiency) tests are repeatedly negative even after three months of exposure. It is conclusive that you are free from HIV, provided there is no further risk exposure. You can forget about...  Read Full

HIV test was negative, but I am still worried. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, After 15 months of unprotected sex, I went for HIV test called Comb AIDS test but, the result came back negative for both HIV-1 and 2. Again after three months, I redid the test, but even this time, the result was negative. I was not satisfied, so I went for ELISA tes...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The test kits used to diagnose HIV are highly sensitive and specific and gives accurate results. The majority of the people who are infected with HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) develop antibodies by three months, and even in the rare instances of late seroconversion...  Read Full

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now