Q. I have to undergo an extraction today, and I am panicking. Please help.

Dr. Prerna Jain
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 18, 2021

I got braces on the upper front teeth, about a month ago. They need to be on for the next 30 months. However, before the treatment can continue, my orthodontist wants to remove two upper premolars because he says that my jaw is a little too small, and my teeth are a little too big. He will then put in spacers. I can understand what he means, and I was fine with it.

But, today is the extraction, and I am panicking. I have not been able to sleep since 2 AM, and I am considering rescheduling the appointment at the last minute, even though there would not be another one available for four weeks. There are horror stories online of people's profiles becoming flat after extractions. I would feel much better getting a specialist's opinion on it, even if you have the same thing to tell me. Losing teeth is scary. But I am fine with having it done to make them straight. Here are my x-rays and a photo. Sorry about the quality of the images. Thanks for your time.

#

I have looked at your pictures and x-rays (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• You seem to have some crowding and a forward upper molar with mismatched midlines.
  • Your orthodontist has decided to remove your upper right second premolar, and upper left first premolar due to the asymmetric bite. At this preliminary level, I will have to agree with your orthodontist's decision.
  • I would also like to tell you that it is alright to feel some anxiety before extraction and orthodontic treatment. However, most patients tell us after the extractions are done, that it was nothing like what they had imagined.
  • Also, about flattening your profile or lips, it does not appear to be the case. But it would be best to emphasize the importance of minimizing the retraction or pulling back of teeth. I do sincerely believe that it would not happen in your case.
  • So do not worry. Just go for the extractions. Without it, you would not get esthetic results.

For more information consult an orthodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthodontist

I was not expecting such a fast response. Thanks for your reassurance. I am sure it will turn out fine.

#

• I am glad I was of assistance. You are definitely not the only one to have fears about extractions.
  • In your case, extraction is beneficial for your treatment plan.

Should you require further clarification about your treatment during the next few months, please feel free to contact me.

|