Otoscope

Why is some gum-like fluid coming out of my ear?

Query: Hi doctor, Some gum-like fluid is coming out of my ear. I have this problem for almost two years now. Please help.  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you have been having ear discharge for two years, then most probably the ear perforation is a permanent one and you would require a surgery to close it and give you a dry ear. Also, chances are there that you do not have a perforation and just infection of the ear c...  Read Full »

Why can I not hear after using Q-tip?

Query: Hi doctor, I cleaned my ear with a Q-tip and now I cannot hear. Please help.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com Most probably in your case the wax would have got pushed further inside due to the Q-tip (earbud). It might be occluding the canal and the ear drum totally, so you cannot hear now. I suggest you to take Dewax or wax-dissolving ear drops, three to four drops daily for th...  Read Full »

How To Stop Ear Crackling?

Query: Hi doctor, How to stop ear crackling? I hear it everytime I yawn, swallow or do it intentionally. Why? What is the solution for it?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Ear crackling while swallowing, yawning, etc., is normal. It is because of closing of eustachian tube by throat muscles. The tube connects back of nose or throat to the ear and equalize the pressure. That is the reason why it crackles. However, the crackl...  Read Full »

Does bleeding from ear due to q-tip mean damage to eardrum or bony canal membrane?

Query: Hello doctor, When cleaning out my ear, I forced the q-tip too deep and blood came out. There was no stream of blood, but after mostly lying on my side while sleeping, I found very small dots on my pillow (I would say the size of the tip of a pencil). There is little to no hearing loss after a full...  Read Full »

Dr. Sanjeev Davey

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please see an ENT specialist as early as possible to get your eardrum checked.  Read Full »

What can cause ear blockage?

Query: Hi doctor, My right ear has been blocked a few days ago. Whenever I tried to laugh, smile or wink, the jaw line muscles went up and it pushes to block the right ear hearing. Doctor told me that it is partially ear wax blockage. But, I do not think so. I did try to put olive oil. And also I did not s...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the details you have given in your query it seems to me that it is indeed wax only. As it pushes against the eardrum and further increases the block when you smile, laugh or wink, it is more likely impacted wax than anything else. However, one can be...  Read Full »

Why has the ringing sound in my ear shot up to the point of deafening?

Query: Hi doctor, I have an ear infection that is causing pain, wax build-up and a ringing sound in the ears. I went to the doctor, and they gave me medicines. Shortly after I reached home, the pain seems to be gone mostly, but the ringing has shot up to the point of deafening. Is there any reason for it?...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do you have any ear discharge? Is the discharge always there? Does pus come out? Is there a giddiness or pain? Did you ever traumatize the ear? Is there any hearing difficulty? You will most probably need a course of antibiotics and decongestants to remove the ear infe...  Read Full »

I have a headache, nose and ear block. Are my sinuses infected?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had a cold for just over a week. I have woken up this morning with a headache that throbs with each movement. I blew my nose to find blood in it, and my ear feels all blocked. Could this mean my sinuses are infected? And is it worth seeing a doctor? Or will they not give me anythin...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are having upper respiratory tract infection, that might be in the form of sinusitis, bronchitis, or rhinitis. I suggest you get the following tests done: Auscultation. CBC (complete blood count). Nose and ear examination by rhinoscopy and otoscopy. You will be given...  Read Full »

Should I be concerned about my ear infection and perforated eardrum?

Query: Hi doctor, I was recently diagnosed with ear infection and a perforated eardrum. Initially, I was diagnosed with a viral respiratory infection and followed by ear infection in a two days. I have been taking antibiotics for three days now. I have a lot of fluid continuing to seep from my ear. How lon...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It appears with your history that you are suffering from an upper respiratory tract infection that has complicated into an ear infection. Usually, once the antibiotic course starts, the problem should resolve within three to four days and completely by five to sev...  Read Full »