Q. I have chronic paronychia and painful swelling in the ring finger's nail fold. Kindly assist.

Dr. Subhash Kashyap
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 09, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 05, 2021

I have painful swelling in my lateral nail fold of the right finger in my right hand. Previously, I had chronic paronychia in my index finger of the right hand. For that, I used Onabet cream twice a day for three weeks and Loceryl nail lacquer once a week for six months. I cannot take oral antifungals due to allergic reactions and so my doctor advised me to use Nadoxin cream twice a day on the nail fold of the ring finger along with Augmentin 625 mg for five days. I followed my doctor's advice but there is no improvement and my symptoms got aggravated. Kindly help me.

#

Chronic paronychia is a resistant disease and you have taken all the treatments necessary to solve this issue. In this case, treatment depends on the incriminating factors of the disease. Most of the time, it occurs due to irritants, repeated washing increases your fungal growth and sometimes drugs can lead to this condition. Some diseases like psoriasis, pemphigus, and cancers occuring on other sites of the body too cause it. Please mention whether you have any of the above-mentioned causes and so treatment can be advised according to it. According to your history, you have allergic reactions to antifungals and antibiotics. Kindly follow this treatment for four weeks and see for improvement.

In some cases, medical treatment is not successful and some surgical treatment helps in removing nail folds. You can use Tacrolimus ointment 0.1% at night. Use Hydrocortisone cream in the morning for four weeks. You can take tablet Cefuroxime clavulanate 500 mg twice daily for five days. Avoid having coldness in your body and hands. Cover your hands with gloves to avoid having contact with exposed allergens. Have a review after four weeks.

|