Q. Is it safe to use NB-UVB lamp for penile vitiligo?

Dr. Shanza Ikram

I recently purchased an NB-UVB lamp for vitiligo and I wanted to know if it is safe enough to use on my penis. I have read that normally, you cover your penis from UVB lamp radiation but in my case, I have vitiligo on my penis. Also, should I put sunscreen before or after treatment?

#

I have gone through your case. Your genitalia or penis should remain covered during the procedure. Do not expose even if you have a vitiligo over there. Apply Tacrolimus ointment over that area but do not expose it to light or you will get a serious reaction. Yes, it is very necessary to use sunscreen both before and after treatment. As on vitiligo skin, brown cells are lost and it may get burn if exposed to the sun.

|