Q. Kindly suggest if my father needs operation for the lump under his ear.

Dr. Deepak Verma
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 02, 2020

About a month ago, my father found a lump under his ear. On consultation, the doctors suggested for a few tests. From the test results, they suggested for an operation to remove that lump. But, there may be some risk involved in the operation like paralysis in any part of face (ear, nose or tongue), which can take a long time to get normal. I am sending all the reports. Kindly check and suggest us whether this operation is necessary or not.

#

• I have seen all your father's reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), which are suggestive of parotid tumor.
  • The treatment of choice for such lesion is surgery (superficial parotidectomy), which definitely carries a risk of damage to the facial nerve that supplies the muscles of the face.
  • But, this complication is not always associated with surgery. It is seen in a very few percentage of patients and in expert hands with the proper precautions it can be avoided.
  • You can also keep your patient in observation without surgery with a regular and proper follow up to notice any change in size and nature of this swelling.

For further doubts consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

I appreciate your clear explanation. I will get back to you if any further need arises.

#

You are always welcome. Do not hesitate to revert back.

|