Patulous Eustachian Tube

How to get rid of autophony?

Query: Hello Doctor, For the last 3-4 years I have been getting occasional autophony. This usually occurs during physical exercises like running etc., or when in college or when I am with my friends. It is very irritating to listen to my own voice echoing in the ear and also I do hear my own heart beat a...  Read Full »

Dr. Prasun Mishra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your entire history and understood your problem. Autophony is the unusual hearing of one's own voice and even breathing sounds. You have two issues:- Patulous Eustachian Tube and, OME (Otitis Media with Effusion) which is on and off fluid collection in th...  Read Full »

What is the gurgling in my throat?

Query: Hi doctor,I am getting anxious about my health. I just wish you to look at a photo I have attached. It is a photo I got from the internet, which looks very similar to me. I have no other symptoms. I have always had the slight red marks, but have never noticed them. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Those represent the cobblestone appearance of posterior pharyngeal wall and it is in early stage. There is nothing to worry. Such appearance of posterior pharyngeal wall is usually seen in chronic allergic pharyngitis. It may also be seen in asymptomatic people and c...  Read Full »

How to get rid of autophony?

Query: Dear doctor, I am a 19 year old male. From the last three years, I have been facing the symptoms of Patulous Eustachian Tube with the eustachian tubes partially open few times in a day. My own voice becomes distorted and sounds like it is coming from a vacuum. Breath sounds are enhanced and swallo...  Read Full »

Dr. Vikram Vel

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I feel a naso and otoendoscopy is first necessary to confirm the diagnosis. The condition is not dangerous unless it leads to some middle ear problem. If you can manage by doing a manoeuvre like how you described, it might help in symptom control and you may not need ...  Read Full »

Static Sound In My Ears After I Was Exposed To A Gunshot Noise

Query: Hello doctor, I was exposed to a loud noise (gunshot). Since then, I have a static noise in my ears when it is really quiet, and I get a pressure at the back of my head that often turns into a headache. Sometimes, I also get a tone in my right ear. If I do some physical activity, I may have dizzine...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Like you said, the tests are normal. But still, you suffer from a ringing noise inside the ear which is more in quiet surroundings. Physical activity causes dizziness and there is someti...  Read Full »

Could sinus infection cause autophony?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a sinus problem and got cleared before two months. Now, I have been suffering from autophony in one ear for the past two months after the sinus surgery. I used to clench my jaw a lot during sinus issue and there is some jaw pain. All my audiometry and pressure tests are normal. Also...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Autophony can be due to the patulous eustachian tube. It is more common in female, hyperthyroidism, sudden weight loss, post pregnancy, etc. Since you had a sinus infection, it could have masked eustachian tube and you were not having this problem. Ringing sound (not auto...  Read Full »

Why do I hear ringing noise and low-pitched humming alternatively?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 69 year old retired internist. I am not taking any regular medication other than Aspirin 325 mg. I have no known allergies and have never smoked. I do not have any medical history of thyroid disease, autoimmune diseases or Paget's disease. Around four to five weeks back, I noted th...  Read Full »

Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. What you are suffering from is known as tinnitus. It is not a disease itself rather a symptom due to various underlying causes like age related, hypertension, impacted wax, fluid in middle ear, patulous eustachian tube, TMJD (temperomandibular joint disorder), hypert...  Read Full »