Q. Can you please suggest medicines for PCOS?

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim
This is a premium question & answer published on May 12, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 27, 2020

I am a 28 year old female. I am diagnosed with PCOS. I have irregular periods since seven months, excess unwanted facial and body hair, hair loss from the scalp and weight gain. Can I take homeopathy medicine for PCOS and its symptoms? If yes, then what medicine do I need to take? I want weight loss medicine also. Can you please suggest medicines?

#

I understand your concerns. Also, you should know that PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) cannot be cured completely. Medications and homeopathy control the symptoms only and increase the chance of fertility if required.

I suggest:

1. Oral contraceptive pills such as Gynera (Gestodene and Ethinylestradiol) once daily for 21 days, then seven days off and repeated every month.

2. Metformin 500 mg twice after lunch.

3. Spironolactone 50 mg once before sleeping as antiandrogenic. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.

4. Please send me a copy of your sonography report as well as any performed lab tests such as fasting blood sugar, and postprandial glucose level.

5. Send me a photo of the acne or facial hair as it may require laser removal.

6. Follow-up is required.

Important note: If you desire to be pregnant, seek medical advice as some of these medications must be changed.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|