Q. Does my scan for PCOS indicate any cyst?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Dr. Divya Banu M
Published on Aug 01, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 02, 2019

I am a PCOS patient. I did not take any ovulation induction agent for this cycle. I went for a scan yesterday and the doctor said I had one follicle, but the follicle was very weird looking for me as most follicles I have seen on scans are well rounded and defined. Please I will like to know is this a follicle or he just measured one of the cysts in my ovaries. And is it too late to take any medication for ovulation induction?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

It does not look like a follicle. The hypoechoic shadow does not really even look like an ovary. The shadows are non-specific as I believe this is an abdominal scan because for follicular monitoring transvaginal scan is a must. The picture is not clear though (attachment removed to protect patient identity). On day 12, there is no point starting ovulation induction now. You may start from the next cycle.

Please, I wanted to find out if my hormonal results are okay and the ovarian reserve is okay. Please find the attached. I also want to know if I am PCOS patient based on this result.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Your AmH levels are within normal limits and hence ovarian reserve is adequate. Even your thyroid, prolactin, FSH and LH are normal but your testosterone levels are high, which indicates production either through steroidogenesis with increased insulin resistance, body fat, obesity (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This would also indicate a possible manifestation of acne, hirsutism and acanthosis nigricans which indicates clinical hyperandrogenism and thus possible PCOS.

Also, I hope your partner's semen analysis is normal as you are trying for conception. Also, I would request you to get a transvaginal ultrasound if your this cycle or menses are delayed to get a fair opinion on the status of ovaries for PCOD.

I got period in mid follicle stimulation cycle. Is it fine?

Query: Hi doctor, I was going through follicle stimulation. My doctor started with Siphene 100 mg for five days, moved to FSH injections 75 for five days and when there was not enough growth in follicles she asked me to inject Humog 75 for two days. However, I got my periods the day I took the first Humog...  Read Full »

Can Kalarchikai cure multiple ovarian cysts in PCOD?

Query: Hello doctor, I have multiple small cysts in both ovaries (PCOS). Our family friend suggested me to consume Kalarchikai medicine, powdered mixed with pepper and honey to have it for one mandalam (48 days). I have completed nearly 44 days by consuming one small ball of the mixture every morning and ...  Read Full »

Will PCOS delay pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 28 years old. My height is 5'4" and weight is 70 kg. We have been trying for pregnancy for a year. My husband's reports were all normal. I am having PCOS, but my periods are very regular. I am on Oxetol 300 mg for partial seizure since one year. I am also taking Metformin 500 mg t...  Read Full »