Q. I have PCOS and trying to conceive. Is it safe to take Kalarchikai along with Letroz?

Dr. Noushin Payravi
Published on Nov 12, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 14, 2019

I am 30 years old. I never had an irregular period from the age of 14, but in the past eight months I am trying to conceive and nothing happened. I have PCOS in the left ovary alone. My period is irregular and my gynecologist suggests to do a follicular study from day 12 provided with Letrozole 2.5 mg two tablets daily. My egg was grown good till day 14 and on day 17, I again got my period (on the same cycle). She informed to wait till the next cycle to have the follicular study again and informed to take Letroz 2.5mg. She increased the dose, three tablets per day. Now, my sister suggests to take kalarchikai with pepper and honey for 48 days. Is it safe to take kalarchikai while having Letroz medicine?

Dr. Noushin Payravi

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

Taking Letrozole 2.5 mg for ovulation induction is a good choice and reportedly has been more efficient than Clomiphene. So please proceed with your treatment as prescribed by your gynecologist. Kalarchikai, commonly known as grey nicker has been suggested to be helpful in follicular growth stimulation in women with PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome). The mechanism is still not fully understood, and it can cause irregular periods as well (possibly due to hormonal interactions). So I strongly recommend not taking any herbal element while on Letrozole to avoid unwanted results.

Will PCOS delay pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 28 years old. My height is 5'4" and weight is 70 kg. We have been trying for pregnancy for a year. My husband's reports were all normal. I am having PCOS, but my periods are very regular. I am on Oxetol 300 mg for partial seizure since one year. I am also taking Metformin 500 mg t...  Read Full »

I would like to know if I can take kalarchi choornam for PCOS.

Query: Dear doctor,I would like to know if I can take kalarchi churna. I have PCOS with irregular periods and ovulation issues. I was on Clomid stimulation which was giving prompt follicle growth and ovulation but could not conceive. Now I am given FSH injectables for stimulation. Can I have kalachi churna...  Read Full »

Will my PCOD get cured with homeopathy treatment?

Query: Hello doctor, I have PCOD for about 15 years. I have all symptoms of pcod and irregular periods problem. I had one miscarriage 5 years ago due to cervical incompetence. I just started taking Kalarchi choornam for 48 days and facing some side effects. My body is developing heat and I have got some ...  Read Full »