Q. I have vaginal dryness and itching at night. What should I do now?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 05, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 15, 2020

I have PCOS and suddenly I am having vaginal dryness and a bit of itching especially at night. I have tried all homemade remedies for my periods but I did not get it. What should I do now? And this vaginal dryness is literally making me feel irritated. Please help.

#

First of all, I like to inform you that PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) could be an underlying cause for vaginal dryness due to hormonal imbalance caused by PCOS itself. Secondly, itching is probably the result of vaginal dryness rather than anything else. In case you are sexually active, we need to look for STI (sexually transmitted infection) as they can also present with similar symptoms.

Practically speaking if the vaginal dryness causing significant impairment in your quality of life, it is time to see a doctor. She may run some tests and do some examination to find out the exact cause of the problem.

However, for time being topical estrogen can be used for symptomatic relief. It is available in the form of gel, ring or cream. As per your convenience, you can use either cream or gel and the use of ring requires assistance of a doctor.

The second thing is stress management. Stress is one of the common reasons for causing decreased vaginal lubrication.

Thirdly, avoid soap-based formulations to clean the private area as it increases dryness.

|