iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersInfertilitypcosI have PCOS with regular periods. Why am I not able to conceive?

Is it possible for PCOS patient with regular periods to conceive?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At February 10, 2019
Reviewed AtJune 8, 2023

Patient's Query

I was diagnosed with PCOS at 16, but have had successful pregnancies (other things I had zero breast change and less than once a day of milk production). We have never used any form of birth control yet our youngest is now almost 5. We have been actively trying for almost two years now. My periods during the last six months have been on time and consistent. I am 31. Why are we not able to get pregnant after two babies?

Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar

As I have learned that your last pregnancy was five years back and that your menses have been regular since last six months and you have been trying for last two years without any use of contraceptive practices to conceive. This qualifies for secondary infertility treatment. Now the first thing which needs to be checked is to get your partner's semen analysis done to check for quantity and quality of sperms as of now. There are chances that the count may have gone down or the quality may have depreciated which can be treated accordingly. In middle age men, such male infertility is common and needs to be addressed first before a lady is subjected to tests and examinations for evaluation of secondary infertility. Hence, it is requested that you may please get his semen analysis and culture test done first and review with reports. In the meantime, you may send across any ultrasound pelvis reports or hormonal profile tests (from the last six months) that you may have undertaken for review (if the element of PCOS still persists or not).

Investigations to be done

Semen analysis and culture for the male partner.

Differential diagnosis

Male infertility.

Probable diagnosis

Secondary infertility.

Treatment plan

As per reports (awaited).

Patient's Query

I have attached the reports.

Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar

I have seen your report which you have attached. It just mentions your serum testosterone levels which are mildly high and WBC levels indicate a possible infection. However, to evaluate female infertility one must get the following tests done (the irony is men have just one but women have a plethora of tests to undergo).

Hormonal profile (day two of the cycle)- FSH, LH, AMH, serum progesterone, serum estradiol, serum testosterone, DHEAS, 17-OHP, serum prolactin, thyroid profile (which is normal in your case). High vaginal swab culture to rule out vaginal infections (detrimental to sperms), PAP smear, transvaginal ultrasound to rule out PCOD, anovulation, follicular growth, adnexal masses, size of ovaries, fibroid uterus, cervical or uterine polyps, hydrosalpinx. HSG (hysterosalpingography) to check for tubal patency. So, it is requested that you get your partner's test done first and review.

Probable diagnosis

Secondary infertility.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Infertility

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy