Q. Is it possible for PCOS patient with regular periods to conceive?

Published on Jun 22, 2019

I was diagnosed with PCOS at 16, but have had successful pregnancies (other things I had zero breast change and less than once a day of milk production). We have never used any form of birth control yet our youngest is now almost 5. We have been actively trying for almost two years now. My periods during the last six months have been on time and consistent. I am 31. Why are we not able to get pregnant after two babies?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

As I have learned that your last pregnancy was five years back and that your menses have been regular since last six months and you have been trying for last two years without any use of contraceptive practices to conceive. This qualifies for secondary infertility treatment. Now the first thing which needs to be checked is to get your partner's semen analysis done to check for quantity and quality of sperms as of now. There are chances that the count may have gone down or the quality may have depreciated which can be treated accordingly. In middle age men, such male infertility is common and needs to be addressed first before a lady is subjected to tests and examinations for evaluation of secondary infertility. Hence, it is requested that you may please get his semen analysis and culture test done first and review with reports. In the meantime, you may send across any ultrasound pelvis reports or hormonal profile tests (from the last six months) that you may have undertaken for review (if the element of PCOS still persists or not).

Semen analysis and culture for the male partner.

Male infertility.

Secondary infertility.

As per reports (awaited).

I have attached the reports.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I have seen your report which you have attached. It just mentions your serum testosterone levels which are mildly high and WBC levels indicate a possible infection. However, to evaluate female infertility one must get the following tests done (the irony is men have just one but women have a plethora of tests to undergo).

Hormonal profile (day two of the cycle)- FSH, LH, AMH, serum progesterone, serum estradiol, serum testosterone, DHEAS, 17-OHP, serum prolactin, thyroid profile (which is normal in your case). High vaginal swab culture to rule out vaginal infections (detrimental to sperms), PAP smear, transvaginal ultrasound to rule out PCOD, anovulation, follicular growth, adnexal masses, size of ovaries, fibroid uterus, cervical or uterine polyps, hydrosalpinx. HSG (hysterosalpingography) to check for tubal patency. So, it is requested that you get your partner's test done first and review.

Secondary infertility.

Will PCOS delay pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 28 years old. My height is 5'4" and weight is 70 kg. We have been trying for pregnancy for a year. My husband's reports were all normal. I am having PCOS, but my periods are very regular. I am on Oxetol 300 mg for partial seizure since one year. I am also taking Metformin 500 mg t...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Having seen your PCOS reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is suggested that you should opt for controlled ovarian stimulation and intrauterine insemination procedure. It will increase your chance of conception by 20 percent as it would r...  Read Full

How to improve the chance of pregnancy in case of a semen infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 45 year old male, and my wife is 26 years. We have been trying to have a baby for the past seven years. I had a sperm analysis in 2011. My count was 68 m, all the parameters were good except the presence of Proteus spp. bacteria. The doctor injected me with gentamycin once, and...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Let me start on a positive note by saying that she stands a very good chance of pregnancy, but there are some small issues in your infertility treatment which I will try to cl...  Read Full

Trying to Get Pregnant? Infertility Treatments Explained.

Article Overview: Infertility is a condition where the couple is unable to conceive after 12 months of regular sexual relationship without birth control. In some cases we do not wait for this 12 month period to start investigating e.g., if the patient’s age is 35 or more. Read Article

Dr. Gowrimeena
Infertility Specialist

Infertility is a condition where the couple is unable to conceive after 12 months of regular sexual relationship without birth control. In some cases we do not wait for this 12 month period to start investigating eg if the patient’s age is 35 or more, patient has irregular menstrual cycles, P...  Read Article

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now