Q. My ovulation spotting has been increasing for eight months. How to treat this?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

I am 32 years old, and I am not married. I am overweight, and I have been experiencing regular ovulation bleeding or spotting for the last eight months. Unfortunately, the problem is getting worse. I consulted a gynecologist who pinned the problem to PCOS (which I do have, but I had never experienced any symptoms of the same) through abdominal scans. Additionally, I was experiencing other symptoms which were attributed to fibroadenomas of the breasts.

But the ovulation time spotting is slowly becoming heavy each time I have it. I have not had a Pap smear test. How can I proceed further to treat this? This is a distressing situation for me. Please help me

#

I fully understand your concern and will surely help you. PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) can have hormonal imbalance resulting in abnormal uterine bleeding. Also, your weight is more for your height. Please give me some details about when you got your last period, cycle length, and the number of bleeding days. Please do these investigations LH (luteinizing hormone), FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone), TFT (thyroid function tests), FBS (fasting blood glucose), and USG (ultrasonography) to rule out any large cyst, ovarian volume, and endometrial thickness. Try healthy weight reduction, active lifestyle, and exercise. You will need hormonal pills for three to six months. Please feel free to ask if you have more queries.

Thanks for the reply.

My periods are pretty regular with a 30 to 31 days cycle, and I usually keep track. The last time I had a period was on the last day of the last month for six days. I had done a scan around the mid of last month, and endometrial thickness was some 5 mm at that time. But there were PCOS cysts in the ovary but not exceptionally large cysts.

#

Along with the already mentioned tests, you can get yourself examined to rule out any local cause and can get a Pap smear at the same time. Please follow the rest of the advice as mentioned earlier. Take Care.

|