Q. Are needle caps that come in sealed packaging sterilized?

Dr. J N Naidu

I am 31 years old male. I did a sample test a month before. Even though the phlebotomist opened the needle cap in front of me, I am having the fear that the needle used was not sterile. Are the needle caps come in sealed packing are sterilized? Can it be used only once, and after that, the needle breaks?

#

It appears that your suspicion has no valid basis. Needles are not to be reused. Needles are for single-use.

Do you mean that after single-use, the needle breaks or jams?

#

I am not sure whether the technician used a vacutainer or disposable syringe for collecting a blood sample. If it is a vacutainer, it is calibrated to collect a specific amount of sample, and it jams and cannot be reused. The disposable syringe needle does not break, and it does not jam. The needle is discarded after a single-use. The needles are destroyed in the hospital and made unfit for reuse.

He used the vacutainer needle, and he came from a laboratory, and it was a home sample collection.

#

A needle used for one person is not reused for another person, and that is the rule, and no qualified phlebotomist will dare to break this rule.

|