Phlebotomy

How to reduce my serum ferritin level?

Query: Hi doctor, My ferritin level is 1500, and I want to bring it down to 150. How much will one DFO IV session or each Exjade pill reduce the ferritin level on an average? I am a healthy individual, and I do not have HIV, HCC, or any other disease.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your serum ferritin is high, so the cause should be found out first. It can be hemochromatosis, in which excess iron is stored in the bone marrow. Deferoxamine is used for increased iron storage in thalassemia patient. For high ferritin, phlebotomy is also another mode o...  Read Full »

Can I donate blood if my Hb value is high?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 34 years old. I went to donate blood today. But, the hospital rejected me as my Hb value is 16.9. Is this level abnormally high? Do I need to get any tests done?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, your hemoglobin value is high and needs to be investigated. Let me know if your hematocrit values were checked. If it is high as well, the condition is polycythemia. The cause for polycythemia may be secondary to chronic hypoxia due to a chronic heart failure...  Read Full »

What is your suggestion for polycythemia?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 37 year old male. I am suffering from polycythemia for the last two years. My Hb is 19.17 and HCT is 51.9. The doctors informed me that it is all due to smoking. Is there any serious problem with me? What will you suggest? Thank you.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Chronic smoking can lead to heart failure, chronic lung disease, etc., and hence, polycythemia occurs. It is called secondary polycythemia. With the treatment, the prognosis is good in secondary polycythemia. But, polycythemia can occur as primary polycythemia as well, an...  Read Full »

Why is Aspirin given for high hemoglobin and RBC count?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 40 year old male. My hemoglobin was 18.3 g/dL, but it has come down to 17.7 g/dL since the last two months. My RBC count varies between 6.1 to 6.27 now, and PCV is 51.9 %. I am taking mini Aspirin as suggested by my doctor. Do I have any reason to worry?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your hemoglobin level, RBC (red blood cells), and PCV (packed cell volume) are high. The lymph node, liver, and spleen need to be clinically examined. Do you have a history of dizziness, weakness, and stroke? High level of RBC and hemoglobin can cause blood clots and ca...  Read Full »

Should anything be done to pull out the excess iron level in blood?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 61 year old male. For many years, I was treated for hemochromatosis. Then, about 12 years ago, I had a genetic test. The results prompted the hematologist to abruptly stop the recurring phlebotomies. I do not recall the test result and apparently, it cannot be located. But, I r...  Read Full »

Dr. Santosh Badaku Desai

General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Your iron saturation and serum ferritin is high and these are suggestive of iron overload or hereditary hemochromatosis (HH). You talked about a test that was done and then the hematologist stopped the phlebotomy. I think, probably he must have ...  Read Full »

How to manage high iron levels?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother has been transfused with at least 11 to 12 units of blood during a period of two months. This was done on a false diagnosis of iron deficiency anemia. It was a false diagnosis because transferrin receptor was never used to come to this diagnosis. She has had elevated CRP for a ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows Normally in hemochromatosis (iron deposition disease), serum transferrin, iron and ferritin levels will be usually high. All the symptoms and signs point towards hemochromatosis, possibly due to iron overloading secondary to m...  Read Full »