Q. The vision in my right eye is blurred even after three months of PRK eye surgery. Why?

Answered by
Dr. Hussein Mohamed Sherif Ahmed Ayoub
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on May 25, 2021

Hi doctor,

I had PRK eye surgery three months back, and everything went fine. However, when I went for my checkup on day ten after the laser surgery, my surgeon told me I had a herpes simplex infection in my eye. So I started applying Aciclovir eye ointment as prescribed by my surgeon and the virus took a few weeks to go away.

The virus was gone last month, and my eyes started clearing up. I started to see 20/20 with my right eye, but there was a double vision which I was told would go away. The double vision started improving, and my left eye got 20/20 as well. However, the vision in my right eye started getting out of focus and double vision increased.

It has been three months since my PRK procedure, but considering I had the virus disrupt healing for two months, should I worry about the right eye getting out of focus?

My surgeon says that it is normal for vision to get worse before improving again. I am using Tobradex eye drops four times daily, and Systane eye drops as and when needed.

Please give your valuable opinion.



Welcome to

I have a question, do you have a history of herpes simplex infection? If not, did you get it from surgery? If that is the case, it is completely abnormal and maybe because of bad disinfection.

PRK (photorefractive keratectomy) is known to cause post-operative haze for a period of two to three months. We usually use Tobradex (Tobramycin and Dexamethasone) eye drops during this period to decrease the haze and wetting drops, as you have mentioned above. You are on the right track of post-operation recovery from PRK. Tobradex is a steroid drug that will excite herpes again. Are you on antiviral treatment now? You should measure your intraocular pressure next time you visit your doctor.

Also, because of your complaint, I would prescribe another wetting gel to be used before sleep once.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
What treatment can I opt for high degree of corneal opacity?

If it is small and superficial scar with irregular astigmatism then it can be eliminated by photorefractive keratectomy (PRK) ... RE (right eye) visual field looks to be some testing errors ...   Read full

Suddenly, I am having double vision at both close and far objects. Do you have any idea?

.. that your vision becomes better upon changing the position of the head or pulling your eyelid towards your ear proves that this is only related to your newly acquired age-related refraction. By reducing the area of the eye slit (changing the posit...   Read full

Will I get a sore on my genitals during every HSV-1 outbreak?

My first outbreak was about four months back, and I got sores in the genital area, mouth, head, and my waist ... Is it compulsory to get a sore on my genitals during every outbreak ... Does HSV-1 have complications like ocul...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Relation Between Enamel Hypoplasia and Dental Caries
Enamel hypoplasia is due to incomplete or defective formation in the organic matrix, which forms the first layer of the ...  Read more»
Methods to Increase Breast Milk Production
Several measures can help mothers in increasing their breast milk production. Find out the correct way to breastfeed thr...  Read more»
Ingrown Hair: How Can You Prevent and Treat It
An ingrown hair is a hair strand that grows back into the skin after a clean shave or waxing. It appears as a raised dar...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Eye Care Ophthalmologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.