Q. Will I get a sore on my genitals during every HSV-1 outbreak?

Answered by Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Hsv or Hiv? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I was diagnosed with HSV-1, but all other tests like HIV, HBsAg, HCV, VDRL, and TPHA are normal. I got infected with HSV through oral sex. My first outbreak was about four months back, and I got sores in the genital area, mouth, head, and my waist. Recently, a sore has erupted in my mouth, but it healed without any medicine within four days. I am a healthy person. Is it compulsory to get a sore on my genitals during every outbreak? If I take Acyclovir at the time of symptoms, will I be able to restrict the infection? Does HSV-1 have complications like ocular herpes and encephalitis in a healthy individual? Does diabetes or thyroid increase the recurrence of HSV-1?