Q. What does the darker pigmentation at the armpits indicate?

Answered by
Dr. Payal Chauhan
and medically reviewed by Dr.Nithila A
Published on Jun 26, 2019

Hello doctor,

My reverse elbow armpits have developed a darker (my skin color is fair) pigmentation. This pigmentation has also affected the whole of my groin area. Some dots of such pigmentation have also come up under my extreme armpits. What should I do now? What is this condition? Can you diagnose the state conclusively?

Dr. Payal Chauhan

Dermatology Venereology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I understand your concern. The pictures are a bit hazy. But from the given images, it looks like a fungal infection by the name of pityriasis versicolor. I would also need to see your chest, upper back, and shoulders to be sure. Kindly send clear photos of the same to make a conclusive diagnosis. Meanwhile, you can start using the following medicines.

1. Tab Fluconazole 400 mg start and repeat once after a week.

2. 2 % Ketoconazole lotion apply for 5-7 mins and wash off once a day.

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

What are the treatment for rashes which is present for almost three years?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a rash for three years. It has started small but now it is really been bothering me.  Read Full »

On application of Selsun blue shampoo, my cheek turned white. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 37 year old male. From my childhood, I had white patches (skin discoloration) that come and go and I was informed that was due to dandruff. I always use moisturizer. I read an online post and I applied Selsun blue shampoo on one side of the cheek where there were light wheatish pa...  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.