Q. Why is there a skin patch on my lip that gets white and dries out?

Dr. Kakkar

I have had this patch of skin above my top lip for the past couple of weeks. It has not worsened or disappeared. It is white and dries out. I have been putting on ointments but nothing seems to improve it. It does not have bumps.

#

It seems like Pityriasis Alba which is patchy post inflammatory hypopigmentation, usually on the face, in those who have dry skin or are atopic. I suggest you use Tacrolimus 0.03 % ointment, twice daily. Rub it in. Do you use a moisturizer on your face? How do you wash your face? Do you have any allergies?

I do wash my face, put moisturizer on. I have no known allergies. I do have Triamcinolone acetonide cream, 0.1 %. I was using it which does help a little but I would put it on during bedtime. Do you think that would work for it?

#

Another possibility is that it could be a pre-vitiligo patch. In any case, Triamcinolone acetonide would work. Dilute it 1:1 with Vaseline and put it every night for 6 to 8 weeks. Take care.

| 

Superficial Fungal Infections

Article Overview: Fungal infections of the skin and mucosal surfaces are very common. There are various types of fungi that affect different areas of the body causing distinct symptoms. Most mild to moderate cases can be treated with topical antifungals whereas severe cases require oral antifungal medications. Read Article

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Fungal infections of the skin are a very common occurrence in people of all ages, from babies to adults and the elderly, in healthy as well as immunocompromised individuals. There are various types of fungi and each causes distinct features, depending on the site of infection. Some common types of ...  Read Article

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»