Q. Why is there a skin patch on my lip that gets white and dries out?

Dr. Kakkar

I have had this patch of skin above my top lip for the past couple of weeks. It has not worsened or disappeared. It is white and dries out. I have been putting on ointments but nothing seems to improve it. It does not have bumps.

#

It seems like Pityriasis Alba which is patchy post inflammatory hypopigmentation, usually on the face, in those who have dry skin or are atopic. I suggest you use Tacrolimus 0.03 % ointment, twice daily. Rub it in. Do you use a moisturizer on your face? How do you wash your face? Do you have any allergies?

I do wash my face, put moisturizer on. I have no known allergies. I do have Triamcinolone acetonide cream, 0.1 %. I was using it which does help a little but I would put it on during bedtime. Do you think that would work for it?

#

Another possibility is that it could be a pre-vitiligo patch. In any case, Triamcinolone acetonide would work. Dilute it 1:1 with Vaseline and put it every night for 6 to 8 weeks. Take care.

|