Postinflammatory Pigmentary Changes

What is the skin patch on my lip that gets white and dries out?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had this patch of skin above my top lip for the past couple of weeks. It has not worsened or disappeared. It is white and dries out. I have been putting on ointments but nothing seems to improve it. It does not have bumps.  Read Full »

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems like Pityriasis Alba which is patchy post inflammatory hypopigmentation, usually on the face, in those who have dry skin or are atopic. I suggest you use Tacrolimus 0.03 % ointment, twice daily. Rub it in. Do you use a moisturizer on your face? How do you wa...  Read Full »

Baby has white patch on cheeks though pimples are gone. Is it seborrheic dermatitis?

Query: Hello doctor, My 1 and a half month old baby is having mild cradle cap and cluster of red pimples on his face. The area is quite dry even though the pimples are gone. This has left a white patch or discoloration on his cheeks. Is this atopic dermatitis or seborrheic dermatitis? How long will it l...  Read Full »

Dr. Kakkar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have noted your concern and I have viewed the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The baby has post-inflammatory hypopigmentation due to seborrheic dermatitis. It is nothing serious and will go with time. I suggest you apply Desowen lotion (D...  Read Full »

I have a flat painless mark on my wrist. What is it likely to be?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had this mark on my wrist for the past couple of weeks, it is flat and painless and appears to be a blemish on my skin. What is it likely to be? I am worried about cancer. Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your case (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks to be a post-inflammatory rash. Which means you might have some sort of red or inflamed lesions a few days back which then have healed with brown pigment. No there is no evidence o...  Read Full »

What treatment can be had for scratch marks in a 4-year-old?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter who is 4 years old had got a scratch mark three months ago. It has left a brown mark. It is a little white in the middle. Is it a scar? Will it go away soon? I have attached few images for your reference.  Read Full »

Dr. Kakkar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have noted your concern and I have viewed the images¬†(attachment removed to protect patient identity). She has some postinflammatory pigmentary changes at the site of the trauma, that is hyperpigmentation and hypopigmentation. However, there is nothing to worry as t...  Read Full »