Q. What are the ways to cure plagiocephaly in a baby?

Dr. Deepak Patel

My baby is 2 years old and has plagiocephaly. Can it be cured normally?

#

Plagiocephaly or flat head syndrome is caused when baby is kept in supine position most of the time. This usually occurs when the baby is small and it gets corrected by changing position of head frequently. In your case, the age of child is 2 years so most of the sutures in head are fused and skull bone has also formed. If plagiocephaly has persisted for so long then it is a bit unlikely that it will resolve now. However, for better judgement, I would like to see some pictures of head of child and an X-ray of head to look for sutures.

Is there no chance for my baby getting her head normal? Is there any health issues because of plagiocephaly?

#

Plagiocephaly usually does not cause any central nervous system abnormalities in child (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is just the shape of head which is flat otherwise the child is totally normal. If the child has achieved all the milestones normally then you do not have to worry. A child sits with support at 8 months, sits without support at 8 months, starts walking around 1 year of age.

Baby at 2 years of age should speak three word sentences, walks upstairs, plays with other children of same age. If your child has attained these milestones then there is no need to worry. If you want to be totally sure then you can do an MRI of brain which will clear all the doubts. To summarize, I think that your child will be normal and if you want to clear some doubts, then do an MRI brain.

| 

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»