Q. After analysis of pleural effusion fluid, diagnosed with Stage 4 Cancer.

Answered by Dr. Prasad Eswaran and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Cancer or Pleural Effusion? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

Dear Doctor,

After analysis of pleural effusion fluid, my mother has been diagnosed with Stage 4 Cancer - CUP, poorly differentiated carcinoma.

She has exhibited lower lobe fibrosis for at least three years, has normal kidney lab work at this time, previous breast carcinoma ductal in situ with removal and radiation; multiple broken bones over the last three years - however no bone density scan or Vitamin D treatment until last few months; mild anemia and leukopenia for over two years, low albumin since June 2013; degenerative arthritis, scoliosis, stenosis, spontaneous fracture of t11, numerous treatments for UTI that were positive for WBC, leukocytes, but not nitrates or positive cultures.

She developed c-diff with significant pseudomembranous colitis in July 2012; MRSA infection on skin outside of spine near fracture and under armpit but resolved. CT in last few weeks did not identify mass in lungs, breast or esophagus; doctor failed to order the CT to include abdominal area despite onset of chf, weight loss, and prior squamous cell cancer of the anus.

I need a diagnosis - this is unconscionable on so many levels. Could the medical community be trying to cover its failure to diagnose a cancer that has been there for some time.

Bone scan revealed nothing despite her significant bone pain, broken bones and arthritis. Unfortunately - my 76 year old mother's quality of life is so poor that she is very accepting of this treatment as long as they keep her out of pain. Other sisters do not want to "upset the doctors" by asking further questions and getting copies of results.

Please advise.