Q. My ears are recurrently plugged after medications. Why?

Dr. Syed Tehmid
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I feel my ears plugged from last week, and nothing I am doing is helping. This happened to me about a month ago, and the doctor prescribed steroid nasal spray, Reactine, and Sudafed. It cleared up within two days, but it is doing absolutely nothing now. I do not feel as though my sinuses (nose) are plugged, but now I am getting a headache. I am getting worried, and is this something serious? Please help.

Do you have a question on Plugged Ears or Cetirizine?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Syed Tehmid

MS ENT., MBBS
Otolaryngology (E.N.T)

The symptoms of aural fullness or plugging of ears can occur due to acute otitis media most crucial cause for which is eustachian tube edema secondary to allergic or acute rhinosinusitis. Did you have symptoms of nasal stuffiness, sneezing? Do you have any earache and decreasing hearing? How long have you been taking medicines? What kind of headache do you have? Is it persistent, or does it occur in clusters? Is it associated with nausea and vomiting?

I do not feel like I have nasal stuffiness, sneezing yes. I tend to get a lot of nasal issues usually, but it seems to be my ears more now, which is now. I do not feel that I have an earache, but I do have a decreased hearing. Sounds are irritating (I feel like my head is in a fishbowl) the headache just started in the last day, but the other symptoms have been for a week.

The headache feels like it is due to pressure. My face around my sinuses is a little tender to touch also. I have been taking the medication on and off since the symptoms started. I am not getting any ringing in my ears recently, but it does happen occasionally. It is probably worth mentioning that before three months, I had vertigo issues. They called it unilateral vestibular hypofunction.

Dr. Syed Tehmid

MS ENT., MBBS
Otolaryngology (E.N.T)

From the history, you have given, and the symptoms are bilateral, it most likely seems that allergy is the underlying cause for your symptoms of rhinitis, sinusitis and aural symptoms of plugging of ears, decreased hearing, the fullness of ears. It is due to edema of the eustachian tube that these symptoms are there.

Since you are already on oral decongestants, antihistamines, I would recommend using topical decongestants like Xylometazoline for a week or so. Also, continue with steroid nasal spray two puffs twice a day for 15 to 20 days and then once a day for next month or so. Have you done a CT Scan of the nose and paranasal sinuses?

Also Read Answers From: Plugged Ears Cetirizine Acute Otitis Media

My grandson has developed earache and discharge. What should I do?
Query: Hello doctor, I am traveling with my 16 year old grandson. He had an ear ache when he woke up this morning and we saw a doctor here. He prescribed Amoxicillin 500 mg thrice a day. Later, his ear felt better, but it started draining. Now, there is a small amount of bright red blood in the ear canal. ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. He seems to be suffering from acute otitis media. Yes, you would need to see your doctor again as he would check for signs of a perforation. If no perforation is found, your doctor would add up an antibiotic and antifungal ear drops too. Make sure he does not manipul...  Read Full »

Say 'NO' to Earbuds
Article Overview: Earbuds are made up of tightly rolled cotton. If you have a practice of cleaning your ears often with cotton buds, you must read this. This habit interferes with the normal self-cleaning mechanisms of the external ear canal. Cleaning induces wax formation, and the wax needs to be cleaned as the build-up interferes with hearing. And, this becomes a vicious cycle. The ear loses its capacity to self-clean.  Read Article »
Dr. Deepthi Maringanti

The skin of the ear canal is very thin, outer layers of which, are regularly shed just like skin elsewhere. This is done by slender hair-like structures called cilia present on the surface of the external ear canal. Usually, ear canals produce a clear fluid called earwax, which is washed out of ...  Read Article »

What can I do to unblock my ear and resolve tinnitus?
Query: Hello doctor, I had an upper respiratory tract infection which is now resolved. It was in the acute phase. I had a very painful earache. I am fine now except for a blocked right ear with tinnitus (ringing) and muffled hearing. I can feel a crackling sensation in my outer ear. What can I do to unblo...  Read Full »
Dr. Fazil Shajahan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to your symptoms, it looks like you had an acute otitis media. It is common to have a blocked ear after the infection is resolved. You need to do a pure tone audiometry with impedance audiometry to know about your middle ear status and to know about tinni...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now