Acute Otitis Media

My ears are plugged even after having medications. Is this serious?

Query: Hello doctor, I feel my ears plugged from last week, and nothing I am doing is helping. This happened to me about a month ago, and the doctor prescribed steroid nasal spray, Reactine, and Sudafed. It cleared up within two days, but it is doing absolutely nothing now. I do not feel as though my sinu...  Read Full »

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms of aural fullness or plugging of ears can occur due to acute otitis media most crucial cause for which is eustachian tube edema secondary to allergic or acute rhinosinusitis. Did you have symptoms of nasal stuffiness, sneezing? Do you have any earache a...  Read Full »

Why is there severe pain and hearing loss after ear pricking?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from severe ear pain in my left ear. Today is the third day and I cannot hear properly. It resulted due to pricking my ear.  Read Full »

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After reading what your complaints are, I think two possibilities are there which can lead to the symptoms you are perceiving. It could be that you already had an underlying infection of the middle ear which can lead to an earache and pricking was incidental or that fid...  Read Full »

What can I do to unblock my ear and resolve tinnitus?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an upper respiratory tract infection which is now resolved. It was in the acute phase. I had a very painful earache. I am fine now except for a blocked right ear with tinnitus (ringing) and muffled hearing. I can feel a crackling sensation in my outer ear. What can I do to unblo...  Read Full »

Dr. Fazil Shajahan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to your symptoms, it looks like you had an acute otitis media. It is common to have a blocked ear after the infection is resolved. You need to do a pure tone audiometry with impedance audiometry to know about your middle ear status and to know about tinni...  Read Full »

How can throbbing and shooting pain in the right ear be treated?

Query: Hello doctor, My 9-year old son is having a throbbing and shooting pain in the right ear. He is crying for the past two hours. I put Otek AC drops in his ear, but there was no use. He got such a pain three years back. Can you please guide me?  Read Full »

Dr. Narasimharaju B G

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I need you to answer a few questions: Is he having a cold? I mean running nose? If yes, since how many days? Is the pain sudden in onset? Had he had such episodes before? For more information consult an ENT Otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icl...  Read Full »

My grandson has developed earache and discharge. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am traveling with my 16 year old grandson. He had an ear ache when he woke up this morning and we saw a doctor here. He prescribed Amoxicillin 500 mg thrice a day. Later, his ear felt better, but it started draining. Now, there is a small amount of bright red blood in the ear canal. ...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. He seems to be suffering from acute otitis media. Yes, you would need to see your doctor again as he would check for signs of a perforation. If no perforation is found, your doctor would add up an antibiotic and antifungal ear drops too. Make sure he does not manipul...  Read Full »