Pneumococcal Vaccine

How long shall we wait for an angioplasty after a heart attack, and if the LVEF is 30%?

Query: Hello doctor, My 59-year-old mother had a heart attack a week ago. Her LVEF is 30% as per 2D echocardiogram. She has a myocardial infarction. Her sputum test is positive for pneumonia. Her HRCT showed a collapsed left lower lobe, with partial medial collapse. It has been more than 15 days since h...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Answer: Hello doctor, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for the query. Kindly share her ECG (electrocardiogram) report to help you better. 1) Is her condition an ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction or a non-ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction? 2) Did she had any previous cardiac issues? 3) ...  Read Full »

Can my 3.5 years old son get the pneumococcal vaccine now?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 3.5 years old, and he did not get his pneumococcal vaccine yet. When I asked about this, his pediatrician said that it is not a compulsory one. Even Rotavirus, I got it for my son with my own wish and was not instructed by his pediatrician. I was in my native for six months afte...  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is nothing to be worried about, pneumococcal vaccine is not mandatory in your country, it is just optional. We, pediatricians, give it to susceptible babies like premature babies, babies who often fall sick, and leave the choice to parents for the rest of the bab...  Read Full »

Do inhaled steroids nullify the effect of the Pneumovax 23 vaccine against pneumonia?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 51-year-old male and have chronic asthma. I am on Symbicort Turbuhaler 160/4.5 mcg (Budesonide and Formoterol) and Asthavent as a rescue medication. I would like to have your opinion on getting the Pneumovax 23 vaccine with this kind of therapy. I am afraid it will not create prop...  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for the query. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you are a known case of chronic asthma. You are on Symbicort Turbuhaler. Symbicort Turbuhaler is the proper medication for your chronic asthma. As this medication contains steroids like...  Read Full »

Which vaccination is suggestable for older adults during cold season, Pneumococcal or Influenza?

Query: Hello doctor, My elderly parents are over 75 but are fairly healthy except for mild hypertension. They live in a cold place. Their doctor plans to give them a pneumococcal vaccine (e.g., Pneumovax) next week, followed by an influenza vaccine the next month. Would it not be better if they get influ...  Read Full »

Dr. S D Sinha

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, it is important to get the influenza vaccine every year and not a pneumococcal vaccine. Pneumococcal vaccine has two-shot S- PCV13 and PPSV23 for different pneumococcal bacterial strains to be taken at different time points. PCV13 vaccine should be taken e...  Read Full »

Does the PCV vaccine result in a fever?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby boy had his first dose of PCV vaccination. He is suffering from fever now. But, the doctor, who gave vaccination, told me that the PCV vaccine will not cause fever.  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are two types of PCV available (pneumococcal conjugate vaccine). Painless PCV, which does not cause fever in 99% cases and painful PCV, which is known to cause fever in 70% cases. The cost of painless is more than painful one. Hence, people do not give painless norm...  Read Full »

How can I improve my immunity against pneumonia?

Query: Hello doctor, How can I improve my immunity for pneumonia since I already had it five times? Once when I was a kid, thrice in high school and currently at college. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Pneumonia is a lung infection. It is a serious problem if you do not care about it in timely. You get pneumonia due to infection with bacteria, virus or fungus or if your immunity goes down. You said you had pneumonia five times in your lifetime. As you h...  Read Full »

Do I need a booster for vaccines which I had in childhood?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a photographer and would likely venture into so many remote areas. I will obtain appropriate malaria prophylaxis before traveling to remote areas and have a large supply of DEET and Permethrin mosquito repellent. I want to be sure that I am up-to-date with all of my vaccines and that...  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and can understand your health concern. It is good that you have taken most of the essential vaccines. I would like to suggest you to take typhoid vaccine and pneumococcal vaccine As you have taken almost all the polio doses, I think th...  Read Full »

My last flu shot caused all my muscles to jump. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been told not to get a flu shot anymore until I am in my 60's because the last shot I had caused my muscles all over my body to jump for many months after. Not one doctor has explained why this happened or what the risks are to get flu shots in the future or what this means fo...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Flu shots are not as such known to cause the side effect mentioned by you. However, if you had the side effect then yes, you may experience the same taking another shot. You may, however, ask your doctor for a different brand. These days nasal spray shots are available...  Read Full »