Pneumococcal Vaccine

Does the PCV vaccine result in a fever?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby boy had his first dose of PCV vaccination. He is suffering from fever now. But, the doctor, who gave vaccination, told me that the PCV vaccine will not cause fever.  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are two types of PCV available (pneumococcal conjugate vaccine). Painless PCV, which does not cause fever in 99% cases and painful PCV, which is known to cause fever in 70% cases. The cost of painless is more than painful one. Hence, people do not give painless norm...  Read Full »

How can I improve my immunity against pneumonia?

Query: Hello doctor, How can I improve my immunity for pneumonia since I already had it five times? Once when I was a kid, thrice in high school and currently at college. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Pneumonia is a lung infection. It is a serious problem if you do not care about it in timely. You get pneumonia due to infection with bacteria, virus or fungus or if your immunity goes down. You said you had pneumonia five times in your lifetime. As you h...  Read Full »

Do I need a booster for vaccines which I had in childhood?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a photographer and would likely venture into so many remote areas. I will obtain appropriate malaria prophylaxis before traveling to remote areas and have a large supply of DEET and Permethrin mosquito repellent. I want to be sure that I am up-to-date with all of my vaccines and that...  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and can understand your health concern. It is good that you have taken most of the essential vaccines. I would like to suggest you to take typhoid vaccine and pneumococcal vaccine As you have taken almost all the polio doses, I think th...  Read Full »

My last flu shot caused all my muscles to jump. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been told not to get a flu shot anymore until I am in my 60's because the last shot I had caused my muscles all over my body to jump for many months after. Not one doctor has explained why this happened or what the risks are to get flu shots in the future or what this means fo...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Flu shots are not as such known to cause the side effect mentioned by you. However, if you had the side effect then yes, you may experience the same taking another shot. You may, however, ask your doctor for a different brand. These days nasal spray shots are available...  Read Full »

Can pneumococcal vaccine be taken around 3.5 years of age?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 3.5 years old, and he did not get his pneumococcal vaccine yet. When I asked about this, his pediatrician said that it is not a compulsory one. Even Rotavirus, I got it for my son with my own wish and was not instructed by his pediatrician. I was in my native for six months afte...  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, Paediatrician, Pediatric Allergy Asthma Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is nothing to be worried about, pneumococcal vaccine is not mandatory in your country, it is just optional. We, pediatricians, give it to susceptible babies like premature babies, babies who often fall sick, and leave the choice to parents for the rest of the bab...  Read Full »