Q. Can pneumonia cause other severe illnesses in a child?

Dr. Rakesh Radheshyam Gupta

My child is two years and eleven months old. He was admitted to the hospital after being diagnosed with bacterial pneumonia. I would like to seek consultation here due to the language barrier with the local doctors. First, I would like to know if we got to the hospital too late. Eight months ago, my child began to cough mildly during the night and in the morning. However, the coughing became more severe the next day and lasted all day. The next day, he developed a high fever of 38.7 degrees Celsius at its peak. We used Nurofen tablets to reduce the fever. However, it reappeared after a few hours. After that, we went to see our family doctor, who diagnosed my child with pneumonia and advised us to go to the emergency room immediately.

He had rapid breathing and a large belly movement on this particular day. He had a blood test and chest radiography, which determined that he had pneumonia. His oxygen level was 92 in the afternoon. He was exhausted all day and wanted to sleep constantly. The oxygen level was 95 after the first two IV antibiotic doses. The next day, his energy seemed to be fine. Not so sleepy as yesterday. He coughed now and then, not very violently. Though the doctor said, it was good to cough up the mucus to recover fast. Based on my description, I would like to know if this appears to be a serious case. Will this pneumonia make him more susceptible to other lung diseases in the future?

#

I understand your concern.

As you mentioned, pneumonia has been diagnosed. In addition, your child is taking antibiotics and other medications. So there is no need to be concerned. It will take time to resolve this. His Sp02 level is above 90 %, so it does not appear serious. And, as you stated, activity has increased. Continue the treatment as prescribed by your physician. Furthermore, pneumonia usually does not affect future lung problems. However, keep an eye out for recurring chest infections and allergies.

Thank you for the reply.

Among all the treatments, the doctor gives us an aerosol machine to breathe the vapor of saline water. But my child is adamantly opposed it. Do I have to force him? On the other hand, his breathing appears to be normal. Snores occasionally while sleeping. Mucus does not come out when he sneezes. So I am not sure how congested his nose is.

#

I understand your concern.

Show him the video of using an aerosol machine. Also, give vapor from a distance. Do not force fit over face. I hope he takes it. Eventually, his cold also gets better. Keep your room warm.

|