Q. I have poison ivy rashes. Can I go swimming?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 16, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 08, 2020

I have poison ivy rashes on various parts of my body with no open blisters. Can I go swimming in a creek? Thank you.

#

I have seen your query, and I understand your concern.

• No, please do not go in this condition for swimming otherwise, it will spread to others. Poison oak and poison sumac are plants that can cause an itchy rash upon contact. A substance called urushiol, found in these plants, causes the rash.
  • The rash is not contagious itself. But if the poison remains in the skin, it will cause rashes on contact. These rashes usually disappear in one to three weeks, and then you can go for swimming.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|