Q. How can portal vein thrombosis be treated?

Dr. Viral Dineshchandra Vyas

I am suffering from portal vein thrombosis from the past 20 days. I am going through the treatment and feel almost no problem now, my all blood tests are normal and KFT is also normal. Only ultrasound report shows this disease, may I know what is the level of this disease and how long I have to take the medicine.

Do you have a question on Portal Vein Thrombosis or Blood Tests?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Viral Dineshchandra Vyas

MBBS., MD-MEDICINE., DNB-GASTROENTEROLOGY
Medical Gastroenterology

I have read your query. As you mentioned, your ultrasound suggested portal vein thrombosis. See, there are several reasons for this condition, but at this age, it may be due to prothrombotic condition in your blood that means due to some reasons like genetic, medication or another disease. Your blood is hypercoagulable and tends to make more clot in internal vessels like the portal vein.

Other reasons can be any abdominal infection. As you mentioned blood tests are normal I believe your doctor has done all thrombophilia work up to rule out hypercoagulable state in the blood. You may need to take anticoagulant medication to make the blood thin. If all workup in a blood test is negative you may need to take that medicine for 3 to 6 months till, if any report suggests hypercoagulable state you may need indefinite medication.

You also need to follow up ultrasound to see the response of medication. You may also need to do upper GI endoscopy to rule out any dilated veins in the esophagus and stomach secondary to portal vein thrombosis and that dilated vein can bleed, so if it is present, the doctor can give you specific treatment.

Please suggest some measures to get pregnant?
Query: Hi doctor, From last two years we are trying to conceive and recently my wife had SM test. The result of the prolactin blood test is 9.89 ng/mL and TSH is 2.84. The FSH result is 6.83 mlU/mL. Also the luteinizing hormone range is 3.83 mlU/ml and right ovary adnexal is 38 mm x 24 mm. Please explain ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Her blood tests are normal, but her scan result is confusing. So, please send the complete scan report. Have you done your semen analysis? If not, then get it done by a reputed laboratory and send me the report. There should be three to four days abstinence before givin...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now