Infection

Can infection spread to the bloodstream after a dental cleaning?

Query: Hello doctor, I am on Amoxicillin 500 mg twice a day for an abscess in my gum and I have just had teeth cleaning at the dentist's office. I read on the internet that the cleaning can cause the bacteria to spread to my bloodstream. Is this true?  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, the infection spreads to the blood when there occurs bleeding at the site of infection. But, that is for what you are taking Amoxicillin. Your dentist has prescribed you Amoxicillin to treat all sorts of infection either in blood or in the oral cavity. You need n...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for portal vein thrombosis?

Query: Hello doctor,I am suffering from portal vein thrombosis from the past 20 days. I am going through the treatment and feel almost no problem now, my all blood tests are normal and KFT is also normal. Only ultrasound report shows this disease, may I know what is the level of this disease and how long I...  Read Full »

Dr. Viral Dineshchandra Vyas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query. As you mentioned, your ultrasound suggested portal vein thrombosis. See, there are several reasons for this condition, but at this age, it may be due to prothrombotic condition in your blood that means due to some reasons like genetic, medicat...  Read Full »

Why am I getting boils on stomach and back?

Query: Hello doctor, Why am I getting bumps or boils on my stomach and now on my back leaving five black marks on my stomach and there are three new boils or bumps on my back that hurt really bad. How can I make them go away? Please help. It hurts when touched.  Read Full »

Dr. Chaitra Prakash

Cosmetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Repeated boils on the body suggest that you may be closer to a source of infection or the treatment has been inadequate. Squeezing of boils may also lead to the spread of infection. If you have not found relief with antibiotics, you may require testing of pus from the b...  Read Full »

Does an elevated WBC always indicate leukemia?

Query: Hello doctor, I got blood work done and WBC was 14.8 and absolute neutrophils were 10.9. I was suffering from sun poisoning and a sinus infection. I also suffer from severe anxiety and panic disorder. I just want to know if this is an indication of leukemia.  Read Full »

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concern. An elevated WBC (white blood cell) count does not necessarily indicate leukemia. Even a mild infection can lead to the elevation of WBC count. Leukemia is a cancer of the blood cells. The most common symptoms are...  Read Full »

How is preauricular sinus infection treated?

Query: Hello doctor, My son has a preauricular sinus infection for almost 24 days now. He is taking antibiotics regularly, but the infection is still there. Pus is getting produced on a daily basis. Twice the doctor brought out pus through a syringe. He also made a cut to drain the pus, and then he made ...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A preauricular sinus is a tract that opens outside through a punctum and it is lined by epithelium. Imagine a very small tube lined by epithelium which produces skin over it and debris. With time the debris gets accumulated provides a nidus for bacterial growth and bec...  Read Full »

Why do I have a lump under the chin?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old female, 5' 7", 130 lbs. Generally healthy. I have a small, but firm/rubbery lump under my chin near the front of my neck (sort of the curve where neck and chin meet). It is the size of a large pea. I have been ill with a cold this week and also have generally swolle...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, it is likely related to current infection, either a cold or tooth infection as it is a draining lymph node for both the sites. So, the site may appear unusual to you but it is possible to get enlarged at the site. Consistency may vary with infection, but it shou...  Read Full »

What causes dark skin around fingernails?

Query: Hi doctor,I bite the skin around my nails, and now I noticed that the skin is turning brownish. I have tried washing it, but no result. Should I be concerned?  Read Full »

Dr. Rajesh Deshwal

General Medicine Physician, HIV AIDS Specialist, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the skin remains painful and swells up with reddish discoloration, then you should be concerned and seek antibiotics if needed. Otherwise, just relax. For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-onli...  Read Full »

I have had multiple infections. Does my blood test indicate something?

Query: Hello doctor, Age: 41, height 5'4", weight 110 lbs, Prozac 30, Wellbutrin, eletriptan, Vitamin D, Gabapentin, Dexidrine ER and IR, Synthroid, Cytomel. Had second or last child eight years ago. Afterwards, had multiple infections (mastitis) and was on antibiotics almost the whole time I was breast...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to hear about your health problem. Kindly answer the following questions to guide you further. Did you have fever anytime in these last few months? Do you have weight gain or weight loss problem? Have you ever undergone behavioural counselling? Is there any oth...  Read Full »

What is the main reason for sepsis in a newborn?

Query: Hello doctor, What is the main reason for sepsis to occur in a newborn? Will parents be the reason?  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sepsis means systemic infection of body in babies. There are many causes like meconium aspiration during delivery, infection from the NICU (neonatal intensive care unit) where the baby is kept, infection from any person who handles the baby, etc. For further information c...  Read Full »

Does sickle cell disease affect life expectancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My fiance got sickle cell SD. He is 27 and does not suffer from anything else. He takes medication and changes blood every 4 to 6 months. My question is does it affect his life expectancy?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Usually, in sickle cell anemia, blood transfusion is not needed. The prognosis depends on the severity of sickle cell. Dehydration, infection is a usual precipitant for sickle cell anemia. So it is better to avoid them and whenever having such incident, consult a doc...  Read Full »