Q. I have a continuous post-nasal drip and a very sore throat. What is going on?

Published on Aug 02, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 22, 2018

I have a question about my ears, nose, and throat. From last year, I am having a continuous post-nasal drip and a very sore throat. I tried taking over-the-counter antihistamines and mucus thinner, but they did not help. I also have clicking in my ear.

My voice kind of muffles in my left ear sometimes and when I lay down, my left ear opens and then closes and then opens and closes again. At the top of my nose, there is something soft ball like thing that moves. What is going on?

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

You seem to suffer from chronic rhinosinusitis that is producing constant post-nasal drip from the sinonasal membranes. The post-nasal drip irritates the throat mucosa causing pain and soreness. The mucus trickling down from nose also tends to block the Eustachian tube orifices, which prevents adequate ventilation and drainage of the ears, causing muffled sounds.

You need to take a non-contrast CT scan of paranasal sinuses to check the sinuses. You would also benefit from corticosteroid intranasal spray with an antiallergic like Alavert (Loratadine), taken once daily. Metaspray (Mometasone), should be taken twice daily, two puffs in each nostril.

Blood investigations mainly to rule out allergy are advised. Complete blood count, ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), and serum IgE would be useful to make the right diagnosis. Do revert with the reports. I would advise you to desist from smoking, drinking and steam inhalation during the course.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

The monocytes and ESR values in my wife's hemogram report are abnormal. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, Me and my wife got an annual blood test done. Few of my wife's results are off the radar. She is 30 years old, and she had a mild cough when the tests were done. She becomes tired very easily. In the attached hemogram report, her monocytes are 0 and ESR is 80. Rest of the tests inc...  Read Full »

Whenever I cough to clear my throat, why do I get a strange smell?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32 year old male. I had some cough and cold last month due to drinking chilled beverages. After that, I have had a feeling of throat blockage, and my throat was burning. If I try to cough forcefully to clear the throat, I get a strange smell in my nose. I am taking Telekast L ...  Read Full »

I have sore throat from two years. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor,I have a bad case of sore throat. It has been two years since I have a sore throat. I regularly gargle with hot water or diluted Betadine gargles (Povidone-iodine solution ), but there is no effect. Rather, it has gotten worse.  Read Full »