Q. I have a continuous post-nasal drip and a very sore throat. What is going on?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 02, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 22, 2018

I have a question about my ears, nose, and throat. From last year, I am having a continuous post-nasal drip and a very sore throat. I tried taking over-the-counter antihistamines and mucus thinner, but they did not help. I also have clicking in my ear.

My voice kind of muffles in my left ear sometimes and when I lay down, my left ear opens and then closes and then opens and closes again. At the top of my nose, there is something soft ball like thing that moves. What is going on?

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

You seem to suffer from chronic rhinosinusitis that is producing constant post-nasal drip from the sinonasal membranes. The post-nasal drip irritates the throat mucosa causing pain and soreness. The mucus trickling down from nose also tends to block the Eustachian tube orifices, which prevents adequate ventilation and drainage of the ears, causing muffled sounds.

You need to take a non-contrast CT scan of paranasal sinuses to check the sinuses. You would also benefit from corticosteroid intranasal spray with an antiallergic like Alavert (Loratadine), taken once daily. Metaspray (Mometasone), should be taken twice daily, two puffs in each nostril.

Blood investigations mainly to rule out allergy are advised. Complete blood count, ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), and serum IgE would be useful to make the right diagnosis. Do revert with the reports. I would advise you to desist from smoking, drinking and steam inhalation during the course.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|