Will diabetic and hypertensive drugs result in resuming bleeding long years post menopause?

Q. I resumed my period after 28 years of menopause. What is the reason?

Answered by
Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 06, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 05, 2023

Hi doctor,

I am a 70-year-old woman with 15-year history of high blood pressure and one year of diabetics and taking medicine for both regularly. Now two months back, I was surprised to have my periods after a gap of 28 years. Again after two and half months today, I have periods. I am very nervous, what is the reason for the same? Maybe my diabetic or blood pressure medicine or any other reason? I visit a gynecologist and she advised me some Elstale 500 for reducing bleeding. Can you suggest what I should do?



Welcome to icliniq.com.

The postmenopausal spotting or bleeding should be evaluated cautiously because it can be one of the signs of underlying uterine cancer. But let me tell you that the most common cause for this kind of bleeding in postmenopausal women is the age-related thinning of the uterine lining due to deficiency of the estrogen hormone. Also that the incidence of endometrial cancer when one has postmenopausal bleeding is only 10-15%. But however, this 10-15% is very important to be not missed out as this can be easily treated by hysterectomy (removal of uterus and ovaries). Did you get your ultrasound done? It is important to look for the cause of bleeding as many other conditions like fibroids or polyps may be a cause for such bleeding. Also, it is important to look for the thickness of the endometrial lining which can hint if there could be any chance of cancer. And yes, you should get yourself examined by your gynecologist and also get a pap smear and endometrial aspiration biopsy done to rule out the remote possibility of cancer. Please share the ultrasound reports and your doctor's findings so that I can guide you through further.

Investigations to be done:

Gynecological check up. Ultrasound abdomen and pelvis. Pap smear. Endometrial + endocervical biopsy.

Treatment plan:

Depends on the reports.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Is MRI with contrast useful for endometrial issues?

The endometrial thickness is 77 ... ET (endometrial thickness) 77 indicates a luteal phase defect and spotting indicates irregular shedding ... But, likely endometrial   Read full

Gynecological Cancers - a Multidisciplinary Approach

.. among women, with timely detection, we can expect good cure rates. Appropriate treatment of these cancers involves doctors of various expertize .. ...   Read full

I have postmenopausal vaginal discharge. Should I opt for a hysterectomy?

First to carry out the hysteroscopy biopsy and D and C, in case of non-malignity we do not need to opt for hysterectomy even with the endometrial thickness of 9 mm ... A thickness of more than 5 mm is considered abnormal and   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.