Q. I resumed my period after 28 years of menopause. What is the reason?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 06, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 29, 2020

I am a 70-year-old woman with 15-year history of high blood pressure and one year of diabetics and taking medicine for both regularly.

Now two months back, I was surprised to have my periods after a gap of 28 years. Again after two and half months today, I have again periods. I am very nervous, what is the reason for the same? Maybe my diabetic or blood pressure medicine or any other reason? I visit one gynecologist and she advised me some Elstale 500 for reducing bleeding. Can you suggest what I should do?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

The postmenopausal spotting or bleeding should be evaluated cautiously because it can be one of the signs of underlying uterine cancer. But let me tell you that the most common cause for this kind of bleeding in post-menopausal women is the age-related thinning of the uterine lining due to deficiency of the estrogen hormone. And also that the incidence of endometrial cancer when one has post-menopausal bleeding is only 10-15%. But however, this 10-15% is very important to be not missed out as this can be easily treated by hysterectomy (removal of uterus and ovaries).

Did you get your ultrasound done? It is important to look for the cause of bleeding as many other conditions like fibroids or polyps may be a cause for such bleeding. Also, it is important to look for the thickness of the endometrial lining which can hint if there could be any chance of cancer. And yes, you should get yourself examined by your gynecologist and also get a pap smear and endometrial aspiration biopsy done to rule out the remote possibility of cancer.

Please share the ultrasound reports and your doctor's findings so that I can guide you through further.

Gynecological check up. Ultrasound abdomen and pelvis. Pap smear. Endometrial + endocervical biopsy.

Depends on the reports.

|