Postmenopausal Bleeding

I have postmenopausal vaginal discharge. Should I opt for a hysterectomy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 52 year old female, who weighs 75 kg and I am 152 cm tall. I want to know whether we should opt for hysterectomy or not. I do not want to do a hysterectomy, as it may interfere with hormonal balance later. I have postmenopausal vaginal discharge, with a fair amount of red spots. W...  Read Full »

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). According to the reports, there is an increased thickening of the endometrium, which is the inner lining of the uterus. A thickness of more than 5 mm is considered abnormal and often consider...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for spotting in a postmenopausal woman?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 55-year-old woman. I stopped having periods three years ago. I visit my doctor every year for a gynecological physical and regular physical. My regular physical last year was great and my gynecological physicals have always been good as well except for uterine fibroids. My last...  Read Full »

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Obstetrician And Gynaecologist, Sexologist, Andrologist, Infertility Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is blood spotting and it may be due to the presence of fibroids in the uterus or due to non-infective endometritis or due to some hormonal change. All these may occur after a gap of few years post-menopause, rarely Prozac may also cause bleeding. It may not occur...  Read Full »

Which is the best treatment option for postmenopausal vaginal discharge?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 52 years old female, who weighs 75 kg, and I am 152 cm tall. I have postmenopausal vaginal discharge with a fair amount of red spots. What could be the cause? I had my menopause 1.5 years back, and I have type 2 diabetes, hypothyroidism, and asymptomatic cholelithiasis from l...  Read Full »

Dr. Sunil Jagdish Yadav

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen all the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). First, D and C (dilation and curettage) with cervical biopsy with acetic acid or Lugol's iodine should be done as you have postmenopausal spotting with thickened endometrium of 9 mm, with ass...  Read Full »

When I went for uterus examination, why did the nurse question about cancer medication?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 50 year old female. My symptoms are blood and urine discharge after menopause, severe lower back pain and hemorrhoid. These symptoms have been happening for weeks now. Also, recently I had problems with my kidneys, but it is good now. I went for uterus examination today, and the nu...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Arsenic trioxide is a drug used for blood cancer. It has a common side effect of vaginal bleeding. The nurse might just want to rule out that as a cause. Also, postmenopausal bleeding has multiple causes like polyps, endometrial hyperplasia, etc., and one of them is cance...  Read Full »