Q. My partner bled heavily after 3 years of menopause. What to do?

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 03, 2019

This is on behalf of my partner. She is 51 and has been through the menopause. She has not had a period in 3 years. Last week, she bled quite heavy for a few days. A duty doctor told her to get a blood test done. She had the blood test done today. My partner did not tell the family history of cervical cancer in her mother to the duty doctor on the phone or to the person taking her bloods today. My question is, is the blood testing enough to rule out anything serious? Or should she see a doctor for an internal examination?

#

Postmenopausal bleeding is the vaginal bleeding, which occurs 1 year after attaining menopause.

It should be evaluated, particularly in whom with a family history of carcinoma. PMP bleeding patients are at high risk of endometrial cancer.

The causes of PMP bleeding include vaginal atrophy (the most common), hormonal replacement therapy for menopause Like Tamoxifen, endometritis or endometrial infection, endometrial hyperplasia, endometrial carcinoma, cervical polyps, cervical carcinoma and any other gynecological carcinoma.

Better to go for TVUS (transvaginal ultrasound scan), Pap smear and then endometrial biopsy based on the wall thickness.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

When I went for uterus examination, why did the nurse question about cancer medication?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 50 year old female. My symptoms are blood and urine discharge after menopause, severe lower back pain and hemorrhoid. These symptoms have been happening for weeks now. Also, recently I had problems with my kidneys, but it is good now. I went for uterus examination today, and the nu...  Read Full »

I have postmenopausal vaginal discharge. Should I opt for a hysterectomy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 52 year old female, who weighs 75 kg and I am 152 cm tall. I want to know whether we should opt for hysterectomy or not. I do not want to do a hysterectomy, as it may interfere with hormonal balance later. I have postmenopausal vaginal discharge, with a fair amount of red spots. W...  Read Full »

Why is my mother having periods after menopause?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother had a fibroid in the uterus and now she had her periods after menopause.  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»