Q. What is the possible reason for vulval pain?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 06, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 30, 2020

I am a 38 year old female. I am not sexually active yet. For the past six months or so, I have been getting pain in the outer labia. It builds in a wave before subsiding and it happens over and over all day and most nights. I have a sit down job, and I literally cannot handle this anymore. The area is normal in appearance. Please give me some suggestion or solution. Thank you.

#

In most cases, vulvar pain is a symptom of some other problem. When that problem is treated, the pain often goes away.

There are some conditions that may cause vulvar pain include yeast infections, other vaginal infections, atrophic vaginitis, lichen sclerosus, lichen planus and an allergic reaction to soaps or other products such as vaginal sprays or douches.

I suggest you to rule out any such possibilities to stop douching and proceed for treatment accordingly.

You are approaching menopause. This could be a reason as atrophic vaginitis could be a cause.

Just meet a doctor to review if there is any abnormality. Meanwhile, you can take sitz bath daily and Paracetamol 500 mg as painkiller.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|